Beal Unicore Ropes for SRT?

interesting technology from Beal, the outer sheath is bonded to the inner core making a safer rope in relation to cut and abrasion resistance.

[ame=

]
[/ame]

could suit SRT work positioning what with all the toothed cam ascending, suppose it would depend on other factors but they could be worth a look. I'd never heard of unicore before, seems a good idea.

ACCESS 11 mm UNICORE BEAL PRO SEMI-STATIC ROPES - Ropes for difficult area access - UNICORE

GINKGO 12 mm - BEAL PRO Semi-static rope - ROPES FOR TREE WORK

BAOBAB 13.5 mm UNICORE - BEAL PRO SEMI-STATIC ROPES - ROPES FOR TREE WORK - UNICORE

Could be wrong. Was platinum by teufelberger a rope core stitch construction? Great idea if you use cammed assenders. A step up from kern maybe.

The difference here I believe is that the beal becomes dynamic (edit actually that's Beal Dynastat) not that I have ever heard of an issue but toothed cams will potentially blow at 6kn so I would of thought sheath slippage would be more favourable.

From those I know who used it it is nearly run of the mill access line much like the tuefelberger platinum.

Having used toothed cams for ascent only on fully static rope on a daily basis for nearly 8 years without issue, I now feel it is a bad idea and that we should aim to use arb specific ropes and non toothed cam ascent/descent device - Rope Wrench, bulldog, zigzag, uni whatever you like as long as it works in both ascent and decent keeping toothed ascendors below this as ascent aids using your legs and not primary load bearing.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by Marc

not directly related to this new rope tech - but as a novice climber I nearly always find when I take on a job it takes longer and end up rushing, so the topper chain I'm sure is responsible for at least some of the frays on my rope when I'm repositioning and the saw is high clipped or dangling on the strop. It occurred to me if I can't sort my ropes out it would keep the ropes from being snagged by (stationary) saw chain if I had a scabbard with me in the tree to put on when I need to clamber to the next bit, maybe on a bungee or something. Maybe ok if I'm not in sight of any pro arb crews

The difference here I believe is that the beal becomes dynamic (edit actually that's Beal Dynastat) not that I have ever heard of an issue but toothed cams will potentially blow at 6kn so I would of thought sheath slippage would be more favourable.

From those I know who used it it is nearly run of the mill access line much like the tuefelberger platinum.

Kernmantle rope was designed to be used with toothed assenders so in the event of a fall the sheath slippage slows the rate of fall and impact on the assender hopefully not blowing at 6kn as you said Marc.

I like the look of this rope as it won't do this from cuts/sharp abrasive forces as the footage shows.

We shouldn't be putting ourselves in a fall arrest situation, especially on toothed assenders. Rope cuts from maybe a silky isn't ideal also.

I agree that we should move away from cammed toothed assenders in our industry. I don't like hardware alone for primary life support on srt. That's a different topic though.

13.5mm though... :001_huh::confused1:

Depends on application, I see no use for it personally.

I did have a length of similar rope and found it would bunch up in areas and expose the core at first I thought thought it was defective until I realised it was wear the out meet the cordon the cross over from core to outer and found it didn't like friction hitches as this would pull the outer displacing against the inner, where as most rope would milk to compensate for this unicore construction wouldn't cause these weird bumps and exposed inner core.

Hope that makes sense, worked well with the Petzl Rig etc.