Splicing,Good or bad??

atree

i had some that came with a splice in one end. I'm not sure if it was because it was fresh off the reel or someone at the boat shop put one in. But i used it. Anyway a few weeks later after someone told me to have a look at it, I fiddled around with it a bit and the whole thing came undone. The core was still spliced, but it all came out of the tuck. Dodgy. I wont be climbing on anything that isnt spliced by someone I trust again. They are actually teaching it at certain polytechs over here which I'm not sure is such a great idea. I think it is pretty hard to perfect and there is not much room for error if you are climbing on the splices.

How many have you got mate? You could get one tested to destruction on that rig Drew used to test his. Set your mind at ease.

Well, not if it failed at 100kgs......:001_tongue:

mark,a mate just got one done,im trying to tell him not to use it,yeah would be interested to see in tested

Adam,

That looks very much like one of my old display samples. I put a splice in a piece of Amor Pruss when I was practicing one day, we had no whipping twine in the office so used some standard black braid to finish off and tried to follow the Samson instructions to see what it was like. It did look a bit better than this at the time but maybe I didn't get it tight enough and should have used the waxed twine.

I recall some chaps coming into the office and I gave them some shorts of AP that I had laying around. I am pretty sure I gave them one of the demo bits with the splice. I did tell them to chop it off as it didn't look that flash. The splice was done correctly so will be save however they were going to knot their prussic anyway as the splice was only in one end. (Maybe I should have chopped it off myself)

If this is the same bit of rope and it does look like it it was not spliced for them and they did not pay me for it.. (would you)

I'm not an expert splicer by a long shot and don't splice for other people however I like many Aborists "give it ago" and follow instructions from web sites etc.

I was shown how to splice by an expert who we engauge to do our splicing if customers request it but unless like Drew you do them all the time it is hard to perfect the art and present the sort of finish Drew does, leave the commerical splicing to these guys.

Cheers

Ropey