IBC Accelerated drying.

pie eater pete

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

This thread got me wondering if a clear tarp would speed things up so I got one. Not had it long so cant comment on drying times yet but went out with a thermometer on a sunny day to see what the temperature difference was between a stack with a green tarp and a clear one. They were both more or less the same at the top of the stack just under the tarp at 32C. No evidence so far of higher temperatures. Darn shame as the clear tarp cost me a small fortune. Will update in due course

3 hours ago, Woodworks said:

This thread got me wondering if a clear tarp would speed things up so I got one. Not had it long so cant comment on drying times yet but went out with a thermometer on a sunny day to see what the temperature difference was between a stack with a green tarp and a clear one. They were both more or less the same at the top of the stack just under the tarp at 32C. No evidence so far of higher temperatures. Darn shame as the clear tarp cost me a small fortune. Will update in due course

Clear tarp will have virtually no effect apart from keeping the rain of - most likely reduce air movement. Any covering needs to be well away from the top of the timber i.e min 300mm. Pole barn, quick and easy with a tractor auger and Tele G poles.

I would love to love to put a large pole barn up but these work well enough. Not as quick drying as the IBCs with hats on but good enough and no need for planning. I chuck car tyres over the top so the tarp stands off the top of the crates.

DSC06365.jpg

DSC06366.jpg

DSC06367.jpg

Edited by Woodworks

30 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I would love to love to put a large pole barn up but these work well enough. Not as quick drying as the IBCs with hats on but good enough and no need for planning. I chuck car tyres over the top so the tarp stands off the top of the crates.

DSC06365.jpg

DSC06366.jpg

DSC06367.jpg

Well you do have a small pole barn (pb) already !  The beauty of a pole barn is the higher you go stacking, the better the airflow, comined with more meterage for the same footprint.

We do every possible move  we can to improve airflow to Accelerate Drying.

Unless you want to keep your operation completely off the radar, surely it is worth explooring the possibility of a PB, even though you are in the national park ? 

48 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Well you do have a small pole barn (pb) already !  The beauty of a pole barn is the higher you go stacking, the better the airflow, comined with more meterage for the same footprint.

We do every possible move  we can to improve airflow to Accelerate Drying.

Unless you want to keep your operation completely off the radar, surely it is worth explooring the possibility of a PB, even though you are in the national park ? 

Dont need to promote airflow around here. The rain of Dartmoor is a bad thing but never any shortage of airflow. Basic pole barns get uprooted around here when we get a good easterly blow so all constructions need to be tough or disposable. The tarps will fall into the later category. Also to go higher I would need a bigger tractor or forklift. Sounds like world of expense I could do without haha.

Edited by Woodworks