CS 32 Fell and Process medium size trees - Training

Scooter

Hello,

I am going to book my CS 32 soon, and would like to get a head start on the training. Have a couple of questions I hope some one can shed some light on please.

Is there a Lantra work book for CS 32 Fell and Process medium size trees? If so could they copy it and send me it (all costs covered of course)

How many cutting techniques are taught, assessed?

What and why is a bench set up for felling?

How is a winch or rope used to stabilise the crown once on the ground?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Scooter

How many cutting techniques are taught, assessed?

i cant remember but i think its basically, straight fell, dog tooth cut, and the hung up removal with winch

What and why is a bench set up for felling?
didnt really cover this, in CS32 other than avoiding trying to felling on top of other logs in a forestry situation,

How is a winch or rope used to stabilise the crown once on the ground?
it isnt :confused1: never come across this at all,

Just turn up for the course, you will get a work book then.

IMO if you have done a fair bit of work after 31 you will find 32 easy enough. As you may be cutting up to 2x bar accuracy is importent.

You should know what bench felling is after 31 but a lot dont teach it (ergonomics).

Yes you should have to use a winch to stabalise crown, eg on a slope. You will also use one to take down hung trees (as 31 but with winch).

Best tip - dont make it more complicated than it actually is and you will be fine :thumbup1:

unit 32 is the same as unit 31, but the trees make a louder bang when they hit the ground. The boring you will need to do takes quite a bit of practice particularly on uneven ground if you have not done much before (practice on some high stumps). When you have cut the mouth, score a line around the tree with the saw level with the bottom of the mouth. This helps to keep everything level.

Slack ma girdle

i can spot a tree at 100 yards

all the questions you ask should be answered on the cource, bob has posted a nptc sheduel, have a look through it, and make sure your instructor covers every single bit of it.

if they dont ask, dont be afaid to ask, and if you dont understand dont be afraid to ask. and if you feel you need more practice before your test dont be afraid to ask to haev the test a little while after the training.

relaxt, ensure your saw is good sharp has a good bar n sproket on it. and enjoy, keep it simple and listen for the crack as the hinge gives, ohh yes also dont think you need the biggest slege hammer, to drive the wedges home, and althogh the standard hi lift wedges are good make sure you get a zink sold wedge in your kit as they are the box delux for those hard to drive over trees.

cheers