Yet another reccomend me a wood burner thread!

sandspider

Mine is one up from the Holywell and is top exit only. I tend to think that they have to be top exit as there's a lot of heat harvested from the flue gases at the top and I don't think a rear exit flue would allow that to happen. I also think that they all follow the same principle but Mr Stubby will no doubt be able to tell you the exact case with the Holywell.

TBH mate, it's your call what you buy and there are probably some good stoves out there with a flue out the back so I'm sure you'll get sorted. But there'll no doubt be people reading this in future looking for information on stoves and I didn't want Burleys to get a totally erroneous and unfair black mark against them based on a lot of bull-manure from what sounds like an especially dodgy salesman. That's why I was coming back on it, rather than trying to badger you in to buying one "per se".

Best of luck with whatever you ultimately manage to find for your job. :)

Ha, don't worry! I didn't think you were trying to badger me into buying one! (My wife says I'm too stubborn to be badgered anyway, she's tried!) I'd like to get a Burley (based on feedback on here) but I think the top only exit will scupper that. Will see what my installer can do...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another consideration to add to your dilemma . . . all stoves have an efficiency curve, some are most efficient at the higher end of their output, some at the lower. If you want 5kw for normal with the ability to punch out a bit more from time to time it might pay to consider a model that gives good efficiency at 5KW but at max is rated to 12KW (for example).

I have a Morso 3610 Morsø 3610 - Morsøs largest wood burning stove

This has been in for 9 years so in between modern & old. Probably a bit big for your needs but they make fine quality cast-iron stoves.

We have an Arrow 5Kw (the've improved this since we bought it 8 years ago) in our snug which heats all our water when there's no sunshine. Aarrow Stoves - Multi Fuel Stoves, Wood Burning Stoves, Gas Stoves, Electric Stoves & Ecoburn Stoves Again a great stove.

I like Jotul and nearly bought one and as some folk have posted there's some goodies out there with the Morso squirrel being high on the list. Look at second-hand resale prices to see that these are well made.

As with all well known makers if you do break a part at least you know the replacement will fit!

codlasher

Edited by codlasher
more info

Another consideration to add to your dilemma . . . all stoves have an efficiency curve, some are most efficient at the higher end of their output, some at the lower. If you want 5kw for normal with the ability to punch out a bit more from time to time it might pay to consider a model that gives good efficiency at 5KW but at max is rated to 12KW (for example).

Damn you!! Decisions, decisions. But yes, I would like a stove that can tick away (without smouldering / tarring) and give 5kw, or be stoked up a bit to heat more of the house. I assume all stoves do this to some extent. Are are specifically recommended as having good efficiency at 5kw but max rated to 10kw or so?

Thanks for continued input. From a fair bit of research it seems there's not really that much difference between the various different wood burners - as long as you're looking at a decent make, not the MachineMart cheapies.

Does anyone have any experience of the Woodwarm range, particularly the Fireview? Seem to get good reviews on the interweb.

Cheers.

Yep. Simply great stoves. Lots of friends and family have them probably partly because they are made down here in Devon but they just work and are well made. Would have had one ourselves apart from them not having external air supply for the model we needed. You can shut them down (yes I know your not supposed to) to keep them in overnight or open them up with a great flame pattern. Only thing I would add is the larger models appear to work even better than the smaller ones but this may be the same with all stoves as it must be easier to get perfect combustion temps with a big firebox.