Yet another reccomend me a wood burner thread!

sandspider

Sounds like he was deflecting you as he was not going to stock them any more . They certainly don't " waste " heat being the most efficient stove on the market . You can put your hand on the slabs mine stands on so that is bollox as well .

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

apparently they waste a lot of heat downwards, can crack the slab they rest on and require a long flue to draw properly?

With due respect to yourself, utter bollocks!

Plainly he's getting a better margin to flog something else.

Sounds like he was deflecting you as he was not going to stock them any more . They certainly don't " waste " heat being the most efficient stove on the market . You can put your hand on the slabs mine stands on so that is bollox as well .

With due respect to yourself, utter bollocks!

Plainly he's getting a better margin to flog something else.

Did seem a bit unlikely, but he was quite convincing. About how he'd been trying to convince them to change the design of their combustion chamber for 18 months without success! The one he recommended was only a couple of hundred quid more than the Burley, so I don't think he was trying to gouge us too much...

A chap who sells wood burners on here said that the Burleys can blacken the glass on the left hand side of the window as their airwash runs from left to right (not top to bottom), and drags ash on to the glass. Has anyone noticed that issue at all?

Cheers.

I bought my Burley from a local plumbers mechant, it's not the reason I bought it as by that time I'd decided I was buying a Burley anyhow, but it was a bonus being able to get it conveniently.

Entirely by coincidence, I met up with the guy who owns the place a while after I bought it (turns out he is a fellow motorcycle collector!) and I told him about buying the stove. "I'd been happier if you'd bought something that I'd make a bit more f***ing money from" was the reply. Turns out the margin on the Burleys is pretty tight if you sell them at a competitive price and even if you buy loads of the things on a wholesale basis (which he does with everything), they still can't be bought cheaply.

So fair enough if the guy wants to sell something instead which he wants more profit off, but it's no excuse for misrepresenting an otherwise excellent product.

About how he'd been trying to convince them to change the design of their combustion chamber for 18 months without success!

The unique design of the Burley was developed over a period of many years by a guy who worked in his garden shed in his spare time perfecting the most efficient method of burning wood possible. As it turns out he also sold Burley electric fires for a living so was a trade customer of theirs as well.

So when Burley wanted to get in to the woodburner market, they got him on board, patented the design, and started to mass produce it. That's what makes the Burley so unique, and is actually the reason why I bought one!

So even if this clampet is telling the truth and thought he was smart enough to know better, it's little wonder they ignored him. Although I tend to suspect he's just bullsh1tting anyhow.

Oh, the airwash on our Burley runs the entire way along the top. Pretty sure they're all the same but can only speak for ours, there is no blackening of the glass to one side.

Edited by wrsni
Missed something.

Did seem a bit unlikely, but he was quite convincing. About how he'd been trying to convince them to change the design of their combustion chamber for 18 months without success! The one he recommended was only a couple of hundred quid more than the Burley, so I don't think he was trying to gouge us too much...

A chap who sells wood burners on here said that the Burleys can blacken the glass on the left hand side of the window as their airwash runs from left to right (not top to bottom), and drags ash on to the glass. Has anyone noticed that issue at all?

Cheers.

Air wash goes from top to bottom as well . Need to check that the vermiculite cheek board is fitted the correct way round on the left side . It has a sloping top edge and if fitted the wrong way round allows more air on that side .

Thanks gents, does seem he was talking out of his bottom.

On another note, my installer says a rear exit stove would be better to allow the stove to sit further into the room -quite a small fireplace. Am I right in thinking the Holywell is top exit only? Bugger...

Mine is one up from the Holywell and is top exit only. I tend to think that they have to be top exit as there's a lot of heat harvested from the flue gases at the top and I don't think a rear exit flue would allow that to happen. I also think that they all follow the same principle but Mr Stubby will no doubt be able to tell you the exact case with the Holywell.

TBH mate, it's your call what you buy and there are probably some good stoves out there with a flue out the back so I'm sure you'll get sorted. But there'll no doubt be people reading this in future looking for information on stoves and I didn't want Burleys to get a totally erroneous and unfair black mark against them based on a lot of bull-manure from what sounds like an especially dodgy salesman. That's why I was coming back on it, rather than trying to badger you in to buying one "per se".

Best of luck with whatever you ultimately manage to find for your job. :)

I am in no way connected to Burley Stoves other than the fact that I bought one about 4 winters back . I can confirm that the Hollywell is the same design as the larger stoves and the one smaller stove . All seem to be top exit .