New to the game.

AmberLeaf

Alright there I left the army after 8years in the infantry that was over 4 years agonI use a good training provider called Lynher training base in Cornwall got pretty much all my tickets from cs30 to Cs 41 as well as a level three in Arb and other various things so really got the best out of my resettlement package. I would diffantly suggest them even though it's a bit of travel time for your self I haven't herd great things about kingswood but can't talk from first hand experience so who nows.

As for gaining experience and there for more money I found that getting my tickets gave me that foot in the door, the first company I work for we're horrible didn't now a pruning cut from a barn door but again it was experience pay was wank but got me time on the job, from there got a better job and now I run a team and am one of the lead arborist in the company's work for. But I never turned down a chance to climb always said yes to all the wank but there where I found i learned my basic skills.

I've pretty much been in your shoes by the sounds of it so if you need any more help or adivce just message me more then happy to help

Cheers

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the advice,

I was kind of expecting that I would just have to get over the pay not being as good.

I appreciate all your honesty, I guess the next couple of years ill be working hard and eating noodles :)

Cheers.

I made the jump full time into the business at 45. Buying equipment was like Christmas Day now it's oh great more money out of the bank. But it's the best thing I have ever done. My advice to you When someone gives you a chance of work is to show you appreciate it by being courteous to their customers, nothing is a problem and slog you guts out.

Yep it's hard graft but Its worth it

I made the jump full time into the business at 45. Buying equipment was like Christmas Day now it's oh great more money out of the bank. But it's the best thing I have ever done. My advice to you When someone gives you a chance of work is to show you appreciate it by being courteous to their customers, nothing is a problem and slog you guts out.

Yep it's hard graft but Its worth it

100% :thumbup1:

I'm in Folkestone in Kent,

So do you think its worth me spending the best part or £4000 on this course that gives me all the tickets, or starting from the bottom with no tickets and working my way up?

Basically I'm worried about taking a serious pay cut from the army, I'm looking for the best/quickest way of becoming a well paid climber.

Cheers.

You need to speak to your education centre who will be able to advise as you should be entitled to an amount of resettlement grant training?

SG

I would also add, that it is very difficult to leave the Army one day and become something you are not the next day!

You should try and gain experience now! Try and get part time work at weekends whilst you still have your Army wage, even if you work for peanuts to gain experience and credibility. You have a lot going for you though, as Ex Forces personnel have a good reputation for being disciplined and reliable. You also still have age on your side! I'm sure there are loads of ex forces on here that will understand your situation and hopefully some that can help out.

Good luck.

Edited by Stumpy Grinder

Why are you leaving the army anyway?

No career prospects there?

You will find a common moan on this forum is one about the sheer numbers of new arbs being churned out by all these training providers thus creating a glut of tree surgeons and lowering prices.

Best of luck though.

Ty

I spent 15 years in the army, left as a SGT and took a huge pay cut. I did my training at Kingswood and gotta be honest the course was first rate. I started off at the bottom with a local firm but soon progressed. 5 years later I'm now a manager for quite a large firm.

Tree surgery isn't rocket science, I was too old to be a good climber, but I have a lot of other stuff to bring to the table. Try and get your HGV before you leave, that in itself can open a lot of doors.