How much are your logs

Dean Lofthouse

But how big is a load?

Surely people are not that thick?:confused1:

If i delivered a load it would be £400. This customer had been paying £140 for half a load. I know another supplier, sells at £60 a pick-up load, another at £180 for a tranny load.

How can anyone tell whats the best value?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them how much a cubic metre Pete, you'd have to be pretty thick not to know what a cubic metre looks like, then ask them what volume they require, half a cube, a full cube or 2 cube

Did try that Dean, she couldnt visualise something that measured 1M x 1M x 1M!:confused1:

She would of been happy for me to deliver "A Load" though:bird:

I still cannot get my head around this, i know ive said about it before, but is it only me that thinks terminology like this is just WRONG?

every frgging day i have to explain a m3...............dean you would be suprised how many people dont have a clue

i used to spend hrs on the phone to customers about dragging distances, coservatories, lawns trying to explain how the cost of tree removal can be affected. but now i have learned that everyone is diferent, so i treat them diferent. If i think someone isnt tha smartest or is going to give me some grief, whether or not they mean to or not then they get put to the bck of the line. the guy that calls me up and says i here you are the man for the job get over here asap and i will pay you imediately. well i am at his door by 8am the next day. you do not want the customer that measure the moisture content of every log, just because us, the dum woodcutters use the tinternet, doesnt mean we have to be dragged intot he wierd world of the nerds. A load is 150quid, a big bag is 60 quid and a little bad is a fiver, now what do you want??Ask the customer if they are trying to save money on heating or just want a couple of wee bags so they can have a snuggle on the rug when the kids go to bed. Do yo think ronold mcdonold and all the guys on the take away forum have a thread about ' how many chips in a poke?' no!!

If someone calls me now and asks a stupid question like how much to cut down a tree, i just tell them no less than 250plus vat. simple. they soon hang up and go and annoy someone else and i can concentrate on working for the normals. and for the record a tree could cost from £10 to £10k.:001_smile:

just because us, the dum woodcutters use the tinternet, doesnt mean we have to be dragged intot he wierd world of the nerds. A load is 150quid, a big bag is 60 quid and a little bad is a fiver, now what do you want??Ask the customer if they are trying to save money on heating or just want a couple of wee bags so they can have a snuggle on the rug when the kids go to bed. :

good argument.....................but...........................

weights and measures, trading standards and anyone else with some legal bee in their bonnet will want some kind of exact measure, either by weight or volume. (my own experience of an incident when i first started over 10 yrs ago)

the description of a "load" is apparently not good enough.

to quote the smarties, it is sold by weight. it does not say " a load of sweets" or "medium quantity" etc. etc. etc

every frgging day i have to explain a m3...............dean you would be suprised how many people dont have a clue

'

This is the reason i had to change my ad from '1 cubic metre' to 'single load because its easier than tring to explain to people that you would of thought can measure

I make a point of not giving tree quotes without seeing the works, but in 8 years, i have had two enquirers insisting on a tree price over the phone and eventually i told them anywhere between £40 and £6,000. They both said thanks for that, bye!

Guess the trouble is with me stevie, i know i am charging top money for logs, but would like to think i can give the customer an exact volume of what they are buying.

It seems the public are used to this very vague (and open to manipulation) way of describing a delivery of logs. Not many other products have such uncontrolled weights and measures.

good argument.....................but...........................

weights and measures, trading standards and anyone else with some legal bee in their bonnet will want some kind of exact measure, either by weight or volume. (my own experience of an incident when i first started over 10 yrs ago)

the description of a "load" is apparently not good enough.

to quote the smarties, it is sold by weight. it does not say " a load of sweets" or "medium quantity" etc. etc. etc

i know what you mean mate, if it comes to it i will by a set of scales, moisture content 1 log on the day do some kind of arithmatic thingy and weigh each bag and stamp and date it like your fruit and veg. :001_smile: