holder tractors

clueless

chris - why would you say different to alpine tractors? the guy i bought my winch off has a holder on his yard just with a processor on the back. wouldnt sell it for the world he said.

The Holders are fairly big and a bit heavier compared to most alpines - a similar sized alpine would be one of the bigger ones (85-95hp) but still only weigh in at around 2 tonne.

Holders are all artics (as far as I know) whereas you can have most alpines as front steer or artic, with a front steer being generally more stable for working across banks.

I alway wanted a Holder (we had a forestry spec one at college with 4ton double drum iglands and a lift and tip blade) but couldn't find one at the time, bought a second hand 50hp front steering Carraro, stuck a 3.5 winch on it and used that instead. Should have gone with some better tyres (taller and better pattern) but over the summer it would climb anything and go down stuff you couldn't stand up on.

My old one - was a 1995 model I think - early bi-directional. Was glad it was a front steer as when you had a big snig on the back and the wheels were off the floor you don't have independant brakes on an artic :blushing:

Whole outfit weighed less than 1.7t.

597654c043723_Picture072.jpg.9178630c8453d3866d812cc88d360e40.jpg

597654c03fc7b_Picture074.jpg.96d3b9f46b74e4a408dfd85a0e1d1290.jpg

Edited by Chris Sheppard
missed a bit.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are there many like that on the second hand market these days? maybe looking for something like that (i.e. small enough to run a splitter/processor economically, but big enough to do a days work) that ideally needs a bit of work, as i see decent ones fetch a fair bit of cash.

There's not a huge amount floating round second hand, especially at the moment as people are tending to hang on to them rather than replace them - most of the used ones we do see though are from part exes and generally we know the history as we've sold it to the original customer new.

That said, I've seen them come up at farm sales and not make much as people don't always realise what they are. Always a bit of a gamble though as you don't know how it's been cared for.

Know quite a few guys who's business revolves around the little tractor -stick a flail/winch/splitter/small processor/hedgecutter/traielr etc etc behind it and it will still go on a trailer behind a decent sized pickup.

Edited by Chris Sheppard
missed a bit

They're German-built, and still going, mostly selling into municipal markets.

Holder

Very hard to find forestry spec'd ones here, I've tried (plenty still working across the channel), fruit/veg farm ones appear occasionally in Kent etc. Very well built, feel like they've been carved from a cast block and weigh accordingly.

there was a holder a90, 65hp with a turbo for sale recently, guy wanted £3500+vat for it though which i thought was a bit steep for a tractor of that age really, maybe it was a bargin if they are so rare, but i couldnt find any info on it, and also i think the turbo was an aftermarket fitting, they sold it within 7days anyway! had 3 pairs of spools and front linkage (no pto)

holder2.jpg.d6f68f081c63486dbcda9f2c3dc037d5.jpg

HOLDERS are built in germany and are still built in germany, they are very pricy about

30 grand , they have a dealer in the uk LAMBERHURST . Kent got 5 holders 1 set up for forestry logging blade and igland d/d winch 1 used on the prossesor

and a crop sprayer , a firm in linconshire converted 16 in the 80's its going to be converted to somthing ? and 2 for spares when i see them for sale i snap them up as i find they are number 1 small tractor , mine are all 20 year old but they are built to last

Edited by Big Bolt