Growing my own bareroot trees

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I use air pots. I use loads of them. You need to dunk to water. Watering from the top doesn't work. I buy them from one particular seller. His are as good as the originals at a fraction of the price. I grow big trees in them. There is total science behind them. I wouldn't use anything else.

I have been involved with airpots for years but didn't think this thread was for trees of the larger size.

Yes they work with the root Air prune idea. They are not water efficient unless you recapture and reuse water, easy to irrigate with nozzles and an irrigation system. The discs used in the bottom tend to sag and crack rendering them useless for reuse. We've started using them sat on concrete without the discs. Probably could do the same on plastic membrane but defeats the object of air pruning and roots going through the membrane in to the ground.

Upto 10 litre size in my experience I'd use pond baskets.

I use air pots. I use loads of them. You need to dunk to water. Watering from the top doesn't work. I buy them from one particular seller. His are as good as the originals at a fraction of the price. I grow big trees in them. There is total science behind them. I wouldn't use anything else.

Which seller do you use? I've only seen the originals and the postage is crippling :D

I have a 10 trees at least 12 ft in airpots at moment. They are irigated. I have eucalptus even bigger. If you are serious about growing potted specimen trees they are the way forward. I grow in airpots specimen trees until they are big enough to withstand deer etc. Pictures to follow. Also my favourite seller.