Poplar gives a bitter smoke,

Fills your eyes and makes you choke,

Apple wood will scent your room

Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom

Oaken logs, if dry and old

keep away the winter's cold

But Ash wet or Ash dry

a king shall warm his slippers by.

Generally though, if its seasoned, it will burn. Denser the wood, the better it will burn usually.

just wondered if someone could right a list on diffrent species of wood and what there like to burn, and the properties and what are good types to sell as firewood i proberly sound stupid saying this just wondering in peoples experience what wood goes down well.

Sycamore, ash, hawthorn, beech all burn well I find. Its true that ash will burn if its seasoned or not, but you don't want to burn unseasoned wood regularly as it coats the inside of the flue/chimney in residue from the sugar in the sap. This can't be removed by sweeping and can lead to a risk of fire, unless you have a coal fire as well now and again.

This is what works for me; fresh ash, seasoned birch, seasoned beech, well seasoned oak, in that order keeps customers happy and a good supply all season and if your in the trade never deal with elm (we're a very suppositious bunch).

This is what works for me; fresh ash, seasoned birch, seasoned beech, well seasoned oak, in that order keeps customers happy and a good supply all season and if your in the trade never deal with elm (we're a very suppositious bunch).

I dont understand all the negative comments about elm ... it is quoted as 2-3 in the AIE firewood guide:confused1:

My old head forester wouldn't have elm in his house. "Elm hateth and waiteth" was what he reckoned....:001_huh: I used to burn loads of it! Given that the rhyme is pretty old by the looks of it, I wonder if it was on about seasoned live elm, as opposed to dry dead elm? I certainly had no bother with it, and it seemed a lot less work than birch which we used to get tons of - lovely fire but needed a top up every ten minutes!

Andy

Give me dry, virtually anything rather than wet ash.

Yup. Wet ash is ****. sits there hissing with the sap bubbling out the end of the log.

That old rhyme is nonsense anyway. Most timber has similar calorific values when dried, some better some worse. But they all burn and produce heat.