TPO application

Andymacp

I think I heard or read that the AA had received complaints about a contractor who enquired about whether trees were protected at someone's address. I believe that complaint was considered valid and was seriously considered.

If you were instrumental in getting a TPO, which prevented legal pre-application felling which then prevented a million pound development, I'd imagine they'd be some ramifications.

But I don't really know:biggrin:

It would be reckless to undertake any tree works without first checking if there are TPO/CA constraints.

If a customer complained about a contractor doing that they must be having something to hide or trying to pull a fast one.

For a complaint to even be acknowledged under those circumstances would be bizarre surely?

As for being instrumental - requesting consideration of implementation of a TPO is not perhaps instrumental (semantics perhaps.)

The executive authority for implementing a TPO rests with the LA alone.

I think I heard or read that the AA had received complaints about a contractor who enquired about whether trees were protected at someone's address. I believe that complaint was considered valid and was seriously considered. QUOTE]

Hi Gary, you're quite right. The outcome of the complaint was that we found in the contractors favour saying it is "the norm" for contractors to enquire about any legal restrictions which may have to be alerted to the client prior to instructing works to commence.

Nonetheless it was a tricky one and we did issue guidance to contractors afterwards saying they must ensure they inform the prospective client of their actions as such.

Well remembered BTW, I probably mentioned it at the workshop at TKF :thumbup1:

Hope yer well..

Paul

But if you don't give it YOUR best shot, and thereby the trees the best chance, what's saying anyone else will.

You have, by virtue of enquiring with the LPA about the presence of any TPO's, indirectly / consequentially alerted them. Trees are a material consideration in the planning process and hence they are obliged to consider them. Further, as the professional arb engaged you are duty bound to establish any constraints to construction, inc. TPOs, aren't you?

Be professional, do the necessary and your conscience is / "should be" clear.

Understand your predicament but you don't know it will all end in a mess really.

Cheers..

Paul

I'm not sure it's quite that 'joined-up' Paul....

When I phone in a query about TPO/CA it goes to a call handler who does a screen check. I'd be really surprised if that enquiry is passed on for any further action.

Yes this is the crux of it, is it unprofessional to look at getting them TPO'd or is it professional to ensure trees aren't damaged.

Be a professional do the survey and take the money or walk away.

If you go down the path of informing developers will see you as a grass and that will reflect on the industry as a whole which is when land owners start pre-emptive felling with diggers

Be a professional do the survey and take the money or walk away.

If you go down the path of informing developers will see you as a grass and that will reflect on the industry as a whole which is when land owners start pre-emptive felling with diggers

I genuinely chuckled then!

It's a valid (real world) point you make!

I'm not sure it's quite that 'joined-up' Paul....

When I phone in a query about TPO/CA it goes to a call handler who does a screen check. I'd be really surprised if that enquiry is passed on for any further action.

Not even that hassle I can check online.

Personally as a non qualified person in this field. I think If these trees are superb specimens with a long lifespan potentially yet to go. I'd definitely favour the trees over the money. Developments are awful abuse of established environments.

As said get someone to get the tpo put in then you haven't done it. In my parish if you mentioned the job casually in conversation in pub in the evening. The council would be notified the following morning by the busybodies eavesdropping.

Otherwise You may end up regretting it for the rest of your life

The good trees say they are good, the bad or short lifers such as birch say they are of insignificance.

Another avenue get someone to contact woodland trust or similar org. They stir with big media spoons.

Ask the mods to make this a members only thread.

If I go and survey a site for potential build and find a significant amount of amazing trees. Is there anyway to get them TPO'd without the landowner/architect, a) knowing it was me, b) without their permission ?

Cheers

If you are employed by the Client to carry out a BS survey with a view to developing the land, I think it would be highly unethical to go behind the Clients back to the LPA. Just thinking about it, in my opinion, is pretty unprofessional.

You are employed to carry out a survey not go running to the LPA. If the Client wishes to fell "amazing" trees and they are not protected, that is his choice and his ethical stance may be called into question.

If you don't like what he is doing, don't ask for payment and walk away and I would seriously question if you are in the right job. As a consultant, it is not your job to run around saving trees (unless that is what someone is paying you to do), it is your job to do what you have contractually agreed to do with your Employer, whilst following your various Codes of Conduct and the law.

If you are employed by the Client to carry out a BS survey with a view to developing the land, I think it would be highly unethical to go behind the Clients back to the LPA. Just thinking about it, in my opinion, is pretty unprofessional.

You are employed to carry out a survey not go running to the LPA. If the Client wishes to fell "amazing" trees and they are not protected, that is his choice and his ethical stance may be called into question.

If you don't like what he is doing, don't ask for payment and walk away and I would seriously question if you are in the right job. As a consultant, it is not your job to run around saving trees (unless that is what someone is paying you to do), it is your job to do what you have contractually agreed to do with your Employer, whilst following your various Codes of Conduct and the law.

That's a good no nonsense reply, cheers

I haven't been employed yet, only asked over a phone call, no quote been sent or accepted.