Is there a market for a small, cheap charcoal retort?

Woodworks

Got an idea for one that would make 100 litres per burn but with a spare pair of hands could do five burns a day. Can't see pros doing such small quantities but seems to be lots of folk who buy small woodlands and want to try their hand woodland crafts.

Any thoughts?

Beau

Possibly. You defined small; how cheap is cheap? :001_smile:

Alec

Hmm working on that but would guess at £200-£300. Only at the idea stage but know it will make charcoal just working on something very simple so it can be cheap.

Richy. Yes I see it as hobby thing but could make some pocket money with it. At 5 burns a day thats 70 kg of charcoal

Edited by Woodworks

I could be interested as end up with a lot of small diameter willow from the trees I pollard each year (c.40mm) - made a few batches in a tiny retort designed to go on a fire pit but it's flimsy and doesn't make a lot

Hmm working on that but would guess at £200-£300. Only at the idea stage but know it will make charcoal just working on something very simple so it can be cheap.

Richy. Yes I see it as hobby thing but could make some pocket money with it. At 5 burns a day thats 70 kg of charcoal

I misread that as 5 burns a week. Is 5 burns a say possible? I have to let my retort cool down for atleast 16 hours after its opening. Much larger but can't see how you could get the kiln/unit to temperature for conversion, then get it cool enough to empty when to go again in only couple of hours.

Sounds interesting. A removable chamber that you don't need to open could work. Opening a chamber when it's hot is a real risk. If 100 litres of charcoal ignites you won't be getting within a 5 metres of it!

Your on the right lines now Rich but would need appropriate number of charge chambers if planing multiple burns.