Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

No not had the 501 out yet, holiday fortnight here so just waiting to see if I get any work but it's unlikely. I'm not going 3/8 on the 501, just put the 18" off the 450 on it, the 16" is going on the 450 and the 20" 3/8 can go on the 8002 if I feel the need for a bit of impromptu weight training.

Re. post count, I don't post in general but give me a subject that interests me and I'm in there :biggrin:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind have too many saws now, I could have just got a CS-620 to go with the CS-450 but bought the CS-8002 1st. The 620 could have gone up to 24" if needed generally on 20" and the 450 on 16", that would have covered me. As it is I'll run the 501 at 18" and the 8002 on 20", 24" and 28", 450 will stay on 16" as back-up or limbing up/snedding.

My 660 is like that. I never use the thing and it's a very expensive shed clutterer! But I do love it and it's not worth selling. I've had it eight years and if it's done a week of work I'm exaggerating! It's still on it's first chain and that's barely worn!:001_rolleyes:

There's something about Stihl, I've never owned one but I've used a variety and never found one I didn't like, Apart from everything else I like the Stihl sound, kind of a flat sound but never changes in the cut if you know what I mean. I was usimg an older version Husky 576XP a couple of weeks ago prior to getting my CS-8002, a really nice saw too :001_smile:

I know what you mean. They always sound fairly relaxed in the cut.

I think if I had to choose a saw for it's engine note it would have to be a Husky 254xp. Quite possibly because it's the saw that three out of the four blokes used at my first job with the Wildlife Trust, and it was also the first chainsaw I bought myself. Without a decompression button it was a beast to start but I still loved it! Back then my friend's dad worked for the Husky distributor in Stonehouse, which happened to be less than a mile down the road. I got the dead saw for the price of a pint and he helped me rebuild it - parts were cheap and easy to come by and I think we replaced pretty much everything but the casing! :thumbup:

Well I picked the saw up just after lunch today. Rushed home to attack a little pile of conifer logs that I'd collected ready to play with.

I'm really happy with it so far - it's a lively little thing and very comfortable. It feels pretty well built and pulls into the cut perfectly even on it's first tank of fuel. If it loosens up and gets better then great, but it doesn't need too.

Thanks for all your advice. I don't think I have ended up with anything better for my needs!

fcb0a324166b4070d178caef14986734.jpg

a4ee620dbfc1e880f9a1eea10e0a422e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I've got a nice new 390-ESX to unbox tomorrow :thumbup:.

15" (38cm) bar version, I'm assuming it's NK (95VPX), but I'll enjoy a leisurely read of the manual over breakfast and then get it up and running after the rest of the day's jobs.

I've never had a genuinely new saw, so I'm looking forward to it.:biggrin: