Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

Just found out that the CS-501SX actually comes with a .325 .058 chain, it was incorrectly listed as 3/8 .058 on the website of the dealer I bought it from. Checked the manual and it's definitely .325 which is pretty annoying as I have already bought a 20" Sugihara bar and chain for it. :thumbdown:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out that the CS-501SX actually comes with a .325 .058 chain, it was incorrectly listed as 3/8 .058 on the website of the dealer I bought it from. Checked the manual and it's definitely .325 which is pretty annoying as I have already bought a 20" Sugihara bar and chain for it. :thumbdown:

Sprockets are cheap, and easy to change on a 501 :)

I've run mine with both .325 and 1/4"

As far as replacing the 450's with 390's, no problem. Originally ordered 390's for the 'hooligans' but, at that time, Echo were out of 390's and we got 450's instead.

One point that has been missed here. The 450's have the older Echo smaller fuel caps, whereas the 390's have a larger hole that take stihl/Oregon spouts. (The Husky spout fits both):thumbup:

One point that has been missed here. The 450's have the older Echo smaller fuel caps, whereas the 390's have a larger hole that take stihl/Oregon spouts. (The Husky spout fits both):thumbup:

I use an Oregon spout, it will fit the 450, never tried Stihl or Husky spouts so can't comment.

Sprockets are cheap, and easy to change on a 501 :)

I've run mine with both .325 and 1/4"

As far as replacing the 450's with 390's, no problem. Originally ordered 390's for the 'hooligans' but, at that time, Echo were out of 390's and we got 450's instead.

Good to know. It seems my dealer is having some bother getting a price for the 390. Not sure why. I emailed him today to say that I want either one of those or a 450, so I'll leave it for him to figure out! He's not emailed me back since the 28th of last month so I'll give him until the middle of next week and if I still haven't had a reply I'll fire an order in to one of the site sponsors! I'm fairly patient but two weeks is more than long enough I think.

As for the filler caps, that's also good to know. I do use a Husky can (or a copy of) so it's no bother either way. The filler on my 310 is pretty small.

I seem to be leaning towards the look of the 450. The 390 looks taller and the chain brake looks more flimsy. Could just be the website image - I wish I'd payed more attention at the Westonbirt arb fair now. I'm not sure I can wait for the APF but I probably should!

I seem to be leaning towards the look of the 450. The 390 looks taller and the chain brake looks more flimsy. Could just be the website image - I wish I'd payed more attention at the Westonbirt arb fair now. I'm not sure I can wait for the APF but I probably should!

The 450 is long and low even compared to the 501 which is similar in shape to the 390.

The 390 has the same power output as the 450 but is lighter and cheaper, your choice may come down to what you make of that.

It's so hard to judge! Lighter means less material which in turn may suggest weaker. Cheaper could give a similar impression. On the other hand it could be better designed and marketed to sell in higher numbers to boost brand sales and recognition. It's just impossible to know.

The newer saws are identical to the Shindaiwa machines marketed more strongly in other countries. That reduction in tooling and design costs alone will reduce the production costs. I suspect that is the answer.

I hadn't even considered the price. I can easily afford either one as a long term investment. Whichever I buy will earn me more than it costs so buying the right one is the most important factor. I do like the twin piston ring design of the 450 and it looks to be a more pleasing shape. It also looks to have a more heavy duty air filter? The fact that it weighs and costs a little more doesn't bother me. If I can throw a 660 around all day either of those is going to feel like nothing.

I do like the twin piston ring design of the 450 and it looks to be a more pleasing shape. It also looks to have a more heavy duty air filter? The fact that it weighs and costs a little more doesn't bother me. If I can throw a 660 around all day either of those is going to feel like nothing.

The 450 has a better air filter than the 501 and probably the 390, pleated paper/gauze type rather than a fine mesh, twin ring piston would be my preference, not sure what the 501 has but it'll probably be the same as the 390.

Serious question, if cost and weight aren't an issue and the power is the same where do you see the benefit of the 390 over the 450?

For me, cost and weight are an issue, but if they weren't I choose the 390 for the manoeuvrability and more modern design. I prefer the mesh filters of the 390/501 as they last longer. are easily blown out and therefore don't clog so readily. :)