Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

I assume you can change pitch and gauge on Echo saws, just like you can with other brands, so what is listed as standard on a model shouldn't be a decisive point.

None of them has a great power to weight ratio, but at least the 390 doesn't have an utterly pathetic one (the 450 does).

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume you can change pitch and gauge on Echo saws, just like you can with other brands, so what is listed as standard on a model shouldn't be a decisive point.

None of them has a great power to weight ratio, but at least the 390 doesn't have an utterly pathetic one (the 450 does).

I don't buy them for their power to weight ratio, I buy them as they spend more time working than they do sat in the dealers awaiting yet another ignition re-map. Weight brings durability, if they're too heavy for you have an extra egg for breakfast or man up.

As for power/weight ratio Husqvarnas 'new' 455 weighs 100g less and produces .2kW more than the older generation Echo CS-450, that hardly elevates the 455 above what you class as the 'pathetic' power/weight ratio of the CS-450.

You need to change your signature from 'Information Collector' to 'Misinformation Collector.

Serious question, if cost and weight aren't an issue and the power is the same where do you see the benefit of the 390 over the 450?

I couldn't really see any benefit of one over the other, hence my question.

For me, cost and weight are an issue, but if they weren't I choose the 390 for the manoeuvrability and more modern design. I prefer the mesh filters of the 390/501 as they last longer. are easily blown out and therefore don't clog so readily. :)

Good to know. Thanks

I don't buy them for their power to weight ratio, I buy them as they spend more time working than they do sat in the dealers awaiting yet another ignition re-map. Weight brings durability, if they're too heavy for you have an extra egg for breakfast or man up.

And now I just spat my drink over my keyboard!:001_rolleyes:

As for power/weight ratio Husqvarnas 'new' 445 weighs 100g less and produces .2kW more than the older generation Echo CS-450, that hardly elevates the 445 above what you class as the 'pathetic' power/weight ratio of the CS-450.

.... .

True, the 445 has a worse power to weight ratio than the saw it replaced (the 345) - but then we are into pure "homeowner" class saws.

As always, how the specs of a saw looks depends on what you (choose to) compare to.

True, the 445 has a worse power to weight ratio than the saw it replaced (the 345) - but then we are into pure "homeowner" class saws.

As always, how the specs of a saw looks depends on what you (choose to) compare to.

Are there any other 45cc saws currently made by Husqvarna? I choose to compare the CS-450 with the 445 as I couldn't find any other 45cc Husky saws in the current range. It does beg the question what you were comparing.

As for weight in general, they are always listed as powerhead only so what bar you choose makes a significant difference.

In any case everyone knows that you're totally biased towards Husqvarna, a level of bias only exceeded by your bias against Echo. Really I don't mind what you choose to use and be assured your opinion isn't going to make me change my mind. The best saw to use is whatever makes you happy but at least extend the same courtesy to those of us who choose something different.

:thumbup:

I have a 450 and it's a good saw. Gets better the more tanks of fuel that have gone through it. :001_smile:

If I was looking for a new saw I would probably pick the Echo CS-361 WES because I just like the look of them.

I wonder if you can cross topic quote people? Well here goes!...

The 361WES reminds me a lot of the stihl 011AV that an old boss of mine had. Quite comfortable to use but I'm not sure it has enough power? It's not much of a step up from the 310.

Edit... Ooh, that's handy! Another thought I just had is that the 390 doesn't have a primer bulb? Those things always look a bit amateur to me.

Edited by njc110381