Echo CS-390ESX vs CS-450

njc110381

Got both. The 390 is my preferred choice. Lighter, and therefore more manoeuvrable. Seems to have the same torque but is more frugal with fuel. Both running 16" carving bars on 1/4" chain.

4x CS450's with .325 on 15" for the lads as ground saws. 12 months hammering, 0 problems or breakdowns. That's after 2 x Stihl 261's lasted less than 3 months with the same hooligans using them! ;)

If it is for yourself, I'd go CS390ESX :) :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scores are looking very positive for the 390 so far. Now all I need is a price from my dealer. It wasn't on his price list so I've just chased him up to find out what he can do. It'll probably be more expensive than I can get it online but they look after me. If he can get it I'll buy it from him.

I've just bought a CS-501, funny but I never considered a CS-550, agre with what others have said the likes of the 390 and I guess the 501 are newer generation saws, my only slight concern is that the 450/550 etc may be that bit more durable but thats just a feeling TBH.

To be honest how quickly it cuts compared to other saws doesn't really concern me, it was cutting full of the bar in Beech last week, slowly? yes but I'm not racing so it'll do for me. It was my only saw up until a fortnight ago so it was a case of using what I had although it's now accompanied by a CS-8002 on a 24"/28" and a soon to arrive CS-501 that'll be on a 18"/20".

Fair enough, you can only work with what you have got.

I've just bought a CS-501, funny but I never considered a CS-550, agre with what others have said the likes of the 390 and I guess the 501 are newer generation saws, my only slight concern is that the 450/550 etc may be that bit more durable but thats just a feeling TBH.

That's my thinking. A bit of weight often means more solid build. Same power from a smaller engine makes me think it will wear itself out more quickly?!

The comment from Ukulian, although reassuringly positive for the 390, does suggest that the 450 is a tough little saw. If it can do a year in the hands of a rough ground crew without giving any trouble then it's going to last me ten! It does raise a question though - would you give your groundies 390's or more 450's when the saws they are running now finally give up?

You're supposed to be helping me chaps, not confusing me! Lots of positive feedback on both - I was hoping there would be a clear winner but it seems that whichever I go with I won't be disappointed. If the 390 uses less fuel vs the 450 then it will probably save enough money to replace itself over the life of the machine...

Ok if you haven't decided yet here's my opinion based on just receiving my new CS-501 today.

The 450 feels more robust IMO than the 501, the 501 apart from being lighter just doesn't feel as durable. I'd put durability/longevity 1st before lightweight so for that reason given the power output of the 390 and 450 are the same I'd definitely............

......go for the 450.

Sorry :biggrin:

That is my honest opinion though, really if at all possible visit an Echo dealer and get a hands on even if you end up buying from your local dealer.

To be fair though I think what puts me off the 501 to a degree is that unlike the 450 on an 18" bar the 501 doesn't feel balanced on a 20" 3/8 bar, actually wondering about the possibility of running .325 on the 501 and using the bar off the 450, the 450 can go back to the original 15" - 16" bar.

That could be a sensible move. Now you have more choice it makes sense to run both saws with an optimum bar length.

Roughly speaking, 1/3 of the CC in inches is what an old chap I used to work for told me to aim for. He used a Husky 242xp with a 13" bar and loved it. I'm sure it's not an exact science but looking at all the saws I've had that seems to be a reasonable rule for good performance.

I've heard the 1/3 of cc rule of thumb but not sure if it really applies anymore as most saws are producing more power at a given engine capacity than they were 10, 20 etc years ago.

Thinking about the relationship between cc and power, I feel that small saws putting out the same power as bigger saws are high revving so they'll run a short bar fast but don't have the torque of the bigger engine which is probably slower revving and making the same power but with more torque. Hence the the 390 and 450 both have the same maximum power but the 450 is spec'd to run a longer bar than the 390.