Storm/Tree Failure Pictures Wanted for Publication

10 Bears

Arbtalkers - I need your help.

I am involved in a multi-partner project where we are identifying and developing models for predictive visualisation of tree failure with a view to encouraging more effective tree management.

A portion of this project focuses on drawing attention to the models we develop and in general, to tree failure as an issue for a wider audience perspective. This process includes periodic press releases, within which we would like to include some good images of tree failure. Whilst we have a few pictures of failed trees, we could really use a few more, particularly in high quality (HQ).

A example of the *type* of images we are looking for are as follows:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/66232-storm-pictures-put-them-here-27.html#post1062242

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/66232-storm-pictures-put-them-here-14.html#post1017192

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/picture-forum/66232-storm-pictures-put-them-here-14.html#post1019823

basically, where there is a 'dramatic' tree failure and it affects people or infrastructure.

The first of these press releases is to be issued to trade publications, and shortly afterwards, there will be a press release discussing the partnership. The publications we are looking at would be those with an interest in GIS / Mapping / Environment / Forestry / Arboriculture as well as those publications with an interest in technology for Utilities / Transport / Infrastructure etc.

Typically the publications pick and choose a combination of the supplied material with the press release, so any images you offer may or may not appear if the publishers choose to publish it (which of course, they may not).

Ideally we would use HQ images ( the ones from the forum are a bit grainy when zoomed/stretched), so if anyone has any images they are happy for us to use from their collection, and the images are HQ, then please send them to me for potential use.

We would of course need to have full publication rights (I will arrange a form that will need to be signed off), and should you want an image credit, then please let me know when you send the image and you will be credited at publication if your image is used.

So, in the first instance, could you please post your images here in this thread and I will let you know if it fits with the project and then we can take the next steps.

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by 10 Bears

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say it is definitely at the altruistic end of the scale. Amongst other things, I am involved with an academic group at Lancaster University who have secured UK research council funding to develop ways of preemptively identifying potential *risk* trees, using techniques such as remote sensing and GIS. As this research money comes from a publicly funded body (NERC), all outputs from the project are essentially, publicly owned.

The other partners are BlueSky, ADAS and potentially some utilities companies (discussions ongoing). Should there be a tangible output (although there are no plans to make a 'product') such as a licenced methodology or software or WHY, then the partners who inject cash into the research end of the project will get a royalty-free licence to use the 'product' within their businesses. However, like I said, there is no intention to have a product like that, as a lot of the focus of this project is to provide a detailed proof of concept that could be used to guide further research in this area going forward - so yes, ultimately, for the further benefit of the wider industry.

The press releases are merely to generate some interest in the project and to disseminate the ideas that we have to the interested trade and the wider public.

So, I would say there are no personal/business gains to be had for anyone at this stage, other than for the researchers who are working on individual doctorates or post-docs in this area.

I hope that covers any concerns you may have, but let me know if you want any more details and I will give you as much info as I am able.

Excellent, thanks Eagleye. This is just the type of image we are looking for.

Did you do the number plate blackout in paint or similar? We would be able to blur the plate if it is un-doctored on the original.

Are there any others, anyone?