3 phase motor issue

Big J

I don't think that it is the motor either. We tested the resistance this morning and it was 0.08 ohms and equal across all terminals.

The machine is set to run on 400v.

We also ran the machine with the wires switched so that the motor ran in the opposite direction. No increase in power and the saw still stalled. The manufacturer have said that they will send out a new motor on Monday, but I do not think that this will resolve the issue. Electronics I suspect - to equate it to a real work situation, it's like a car stuck in limp home mode.

then according to wheeler dealers it will be a dodgey sensor...:lol:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then according to wheeler dealers it will be a dodgey sensor...:lol:

Probably suggested but is motor configured " star "- delta " or, " delta "- " star " ? One way drops the current when a load goes on the other raises it .....

Probably suggested but is motor configured " star "- delta " or, " delta "- " star " ? One way drops the current when a load goes on the other raises it .....

It is running through star delta without any issues.

Yes, 30 years ago the electro mechanical stuff was straight forward but come the advent of electronics it often comes down to just swopping control units now. Still, at least a new motor will give you ammo to push back if it does not fix the problem - but hopefully it will:thumbup:

Motors are started in star so that they draw current less current on start up.

Does sound like the electronics side of things, by the results you are getting.

Big J if you want me to cast a 2nd pair of eyes over it, I don't mind looking but it sounds like you have done a good set of checks, I do have a multimeter, insulation tester, and clamp on amp meter. I am out Glasgow way until Thursday.

Just let me know if you want me to pop by.

Motors are started in star so that they draw current less current on start up.

Does sound like the electronics side of things, by the results you are getting.

Big J if you want me to cast a 2nd pair of eyes over it, I don't mind looking but it sounds like you have done a good set of checks, I do have a multimeter, insulation tester, and clamp on amp meter. I am out Glasgow way until Thursday.

Just let me know if you want me to pop by.

Any help would be appreciated. It's so far stumped about 8 people, but a new set of eyes might well come up with something! I'm just west of Edinburgh.

Any help would be appreciated. It's so far stumped about 8 people, but a new set of eyes might well come up with something! I'm just west of Edinburgh.

Yip no probs, don't think I will bring anything new to the party but you never know, can you message me your location and contact details.

Can you eliminate absolutely all switchgear and go to 'Stone Age' basics- drive the motor direct from the supply board, preferably through your edger's MCB and supply line (known to be good). If the flywheel isn't too massive I would imagine the machine would start up directly on Delta. You'd then have a definitive answer of control issue or motor issue.

Brand new control gear is in no way a guarantee of good working order. Far from it. We were foxed for a while with a duff breaker feeding my Logosol moulder. The thing looked good for continuity and behaved until the machine was fired up and reasonable amps were flowing.... Can you substitute another breaker at the wall?