Waste disposal without chipper or van?

paradise

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no transport at all and you can't even cut it up small and stick it in a car I'd doubt the professionalism to your clients of the whole operation.

I think thats a bit harsh, the guy is looking to get off the ground, which isnt always as simple as people think. What makes a "professional" anyway? A transit? A Mog? Fancy signwriting that says you can do the job? I think the biggest part of a "professional" is how you deal with the client, how you sell yourself, correctly pruning a tree and leaving the site in a clean and tidy manner, how you go about that is decided by the means to do so at your disposal. I worked for a guy who had a knackered old Morris Traveller to cart stuff away when he started, he just recently sold his very successful AAAC business for considerable sum, and that would not have been thought of when he started out in 86. But he always carried out his business in the aforementioned "professional" manner, regardless of the vehicle or equipment he owned at the time. So come on, give those starting out a leg-up and some encouragement:thumbup1:

Evening Paradise, I'v been going for 3 years now as a part-time gardener and i'm getting more involved in tree work. I started with a Vauxhall Combo van and i tell you what mate i can't fault them, obviously it all depends on the size of the work you're seeking but as for getting rid of waste i get all my brash in a pile and set to work reducing it down with my Tanaka hedge trimmer or sometimes my chainsaw if needs be, once reduced it goes in to my clients green bin and or hippo bags which i'v begged off people in the past that may have had building work done and have had sand delivered in them, heck, i even pulled up and grabbed one that was blowing around in the street!

If you can't overcome this small hurdle I would look at approaching local tree surgeons, pass them the jobs for a percentage off the top until you are better equipped to carryout this work.

I'm pretty sure I can overcome this small hurdle - just in a different way than others might overcome it :biggrin:

Thanks for your helpful comments Andy. Having investigated hippobags, the problem I forsee is that they take up to five days to collect them. If I have zero transport (one of the options I'm considering) that would mean leaving the hippobag outside the clients' houses and I think people might be bothered by it staying there for five days. Ideally I'd like a similar service that could pick up within 24 hours. If such a thing exists anywhere it would probably be in London - anyone know of anything?

I'm in SE London by the way.

Edited by paradise

theres a company in eastbourne that removes green waste for people excatly like youself , charges £10 per ton bag (builders bag ) or if larger quantity of waste he will turn up when you done and chip it for a price ! he seems to do very well for himself , theres gota be someone around near you that offers a similer service ?

theres a company in eastbourne that removes green waste for people excatly like youself , charges £10 per ton bag (builders bag ) or if larger quantity of waste he will turn up when you done and chip it for a price ! he seems to do very well for himself , theres gota be someone around near you that offers a similer service ?

That would be ideal but I'd be surprised if anyone could do it that cheap in London. The cost of storage/parking and just the cost of living means that small businesses like that sometimes can't operate at a profit. But if anyone knows of someone do let me know.

I have found a company that is a similar price to hippobags but say they can pick up within 24hrs - Garden Waste & Green Waste Clearance Sussex, Surrey Kent & London:: Junk Clear in case anyone else is interested. But £60 a job is still pretty dear. I think I need to regard it as the last resort and try to hook up with local tree surgeons as people suggest.

without trying to be negative...

Why would other tree surgeons go out of their way to help you? Its not as if they need the business of clearing other peoples rubbish, and if they help you they're helping the competition.

Are you saying you have no transport at all? no car even?