Heracleum mantegazzianum

andrew t

A week in bed unable to move due to the size of the blisters.

My GP hadn't seen anything like it.

The pus came out in rivers.

Napalm would probably do the job :biggrin:

How long after was you affected did you need to keep your skin covered for a long time after .

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About an hour or so later, I was on the bus home after work and started feeling sick. Barely able to walk off the bus after an hours journey.

Had dressings on the blisters on my legs and arms for a couple of weeks.

Have you come across any where you work

Edited by David Humphries

It'll go higher than that with the right conditions 15' to 20'. It's tempting for kids to pull it apart and play with the leaves and stems and it is evil. Gloves and coveralls and remember not to wipe sweat off with the back of your hand the after effects can last for years.

In my mind I was thinking it was a lot taller but I haven't seen any for a while (and I was puttin a leash on my ability to exaggerate for effect from time to time😀)

We were always well covered when handling in spite of generally sweltering weather

You can get blind of the juice when it is coming in your eyes. Whe have an old sand pit (?) where the grow. You can hike between them. In dutch the cal them Berenklauwen or Claws of the Bear

AF1QipMZ3NT7GeMKnUl711lp1sFAhm-meJ6RwqZ5gwpe?key=YWRFUDhmX2p0alhnXzhjQnNQNjg1aFlvc0dTYzF3

Edited by JPAJS

I've got a fair bit of this around the place & I've found the blisters only come in direct sunlight. I'm lucky that they don't seem to affect me much - they don't itch or hurt , but the do look gross!. I always use long sleeves, gloves & full face mask for cutting them these days.

When I first got the blisters on my forearms, I read up about the stuff & the following year I did an experiment. I clean cut a stem & pressed the end end-on onto the inside of each forearm on the soft bit. Then I left one forearm exposed & the other covered. Following day the covered one was fine, but the one in the sun had a beautiful big blister. QED

I do most of it with a slasher these days too, it cuts really easily & you don't get sap sprayed everywhere.

Genesis wrote a song called curse of the Giant Hogweed.

It's a vile plant in every aspect.

The Roger Phillips book describes the smell of the cut foliage as 'overpowering'.

Last year I pointed it out to 2 property owners and explained the risks.

One has mown and sprayed it, the other thinks it is quite lovely which is a selfish reason to propagate such a menace.

Ty

• 2 weeks later...

I think it looks impressive if not a bit scary-kind of looks like it will do you harm!

I've sprayed small areas in the past but looked a big block of it yesterday. Steep river bank under trees probably 150m x30m and stacked full of giant hogweed in full flower and 12' high. Interested to hear opinions on management, I was thinking just spray footpath this year and then get on it early next year when its not as high. Spray with glyphoste and then try and reseed?

Thanks