Akimbo

I'm coming into this discussion, on the back side, but where in the rope is it bunched up? Can the rope be milked towards the eye, and just resplice a new tight eye? Or splice a new eye at the other end to correct the milking problem? It's just an idea.

No eye splice. It's bunched not far from the middle. And doesn't seem to want to milk past the bunched area.

Have you tried milking the sheath towards the end that has the excess outer sheath, by using a prussik or E2E & carabiner? I've never seen a rope that had the inner core and outer sheath spliced together, not to say it can't or hasn't happened to anyone. I'm just saying, I've never experienced it myself. What if you flipped the rope end for end and tried climbing then descending to see if it will correct itself? (I'm referring to the rope) just throwing ideas out there to see if anything will help.

Have you tried milking the sheath towards the end that has the excess outer sheath, by using a prussik or E2E & carabiner? I've never seen a rope that had the inner core and outer sheath spliced together, not to say it can't or hasn't happened to anyone. I'm just saying, I've never experienced it myself. What if you flipped the rope end for end and tried climbing then descending to see if it will correct itself? (I'm referring to the rope) just throwing ideas out there to see if anything will help.

That's what I was thinking about climbing it the other way round. Will the descent wring it out and milk it. I'll try with a Prussik and see if I can budge it either way I suppose. Cheers

I've tried milking it passed the bunched area and it looks like the outer is attached to the inner somehow. Im not sure if it's clear in the picture but the black strands are tight in that area whereas the blues are loose.

I managed to milk off approx 2' from the bunched up bit outwards. But when trying from that 'new' end, it just gathered up at the same (marked) area and won't pass.

So it looks like a manufacturing fault.

You can actually see that the "Black" strand is the culprit, look how it's pulled into the strands tighter than the others. I would definitely contact the Company that you purchased the rope from and e-mail them some pics and a description of your dilemma. The worst that can happen is that they say, too bad, so sad! IMO. If they are a reputable company they should replace it for free! Best of Luck!

I haven't mentioned anything to the retailer yet. I haven't had much experience of rope milking to be honest and wasn't sure if this was a normal thing that I hadn't dealt with correctly. But it does seem quite clear that the rope isn't supposed to be like that. I'll see what they say. Maybe there has been other previous issues with this batch.