Elm gate post

edwood

Isn't 'Bog Oak' a generic term for all timbers sourced from the ground or rivers..... doesn't actually have to be Oak??

yes that is true, i merely said bog pine so that people would realise that i was referring to a pinus species rather than oak.

i've also seen yew and spruce labeled under bog oak.

any timber left in anaerobic conditions will last for thousands of years. they often find bog pine along with the oaks and you'd expect that to be the first to rot but there is no oxygen to facilitate it.

That does not really make sense to me as water has lots of oxygen. Does that not mean it's the other chemicals in the air causing the damage?

That does not really make sense to me as water has lots of oxygen. Does that not mean it's the other chemicals in the air causing the damage?

well i'm no chemist but i assume it's got something to do with the fact the oxygen molecules have a pair of hydrogen molecules stuck to them.

perhaps it inhibits what oxygen does on its own?

or it could be that oxygen needs to be in a gaseous form?

does anyone know exactly why that is?

well i'm no chemist but i assume it's got something to do with the fact the oxygen molecules have a pair of hydrogen molecules stuck to them.

perhaps it inhibits what oxygen does on its own?

or it could be that oxygen needs to be in a gaseous form?

does anyone know exactly why that is?

Oxygen in water is present as a dissolved gas.

In stagnant or non-moving water the level of dissolved gas is much lower and can be very low to anaerobic levels. Bacteria in the water may consume all the present oxygen...

Think of a fish tank - generally it's considered good for the fish to have an air pump and one of those wee stones which makes a stream of tiny bubbles to keep the dissolved oxygen levels up.

Also, does anyone remember being advised not to drill drainage holes in rot pockets in trees that are full of water? Same reason - anaerobic water prevents any further rot...:thumbup1:

The oxygen in water ( especially salt water ) is not available to the wood boring insects and decay causing fungi that commonly will cause the wood to "rot" as such , I am sure there must be water borne fungi or else the sea wood be full of non decayed wood , there are a few wood boring insects in sea water, gribble and toredo worm which can destroy wooden boats and structures over time ...but this is different to having a lump of Elm half in, half out of soil where decay organisms thrive ..

Isn't 'Bog Oak' a generic term for all timbers sourced from the ground or rivers..... doesn't actually have to be Oak??

I wouldn't have said so: bog Oak is Oak: there is also bog Yew, and bog Pine.

We have areas of peat on the farm, and the only non rotten wood I've found is Oak. There is other timber present, but it's mush. Interestingly, there are clearly preserved Holly leaves and Hazel shells.