Stump Grinding as a way of life

theNakedApiarist

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grinding bigger domestic stumps is all about getting rid of the grindings, if you're wheel barrowing it out of the garden onto a truck on your own it can be a dispiriting experience.

Also the tools you bring can make a difference, sometimes a fork will be needed to lift the stuff, sometimes a shovel, a big blower is good, plus a power broom.

Another tip is never to reload the grinder before its all clean and tidy because you're always going to find another running root in the final clear up.

On larger stumps, I work with a lickspittle on rake and barrow duty.

His job his to clear the grindings away.

I first reverse the machine away from the stump then check my Facebook for whatever daily wisdom Mick has posted.

This is is normally time enough and it's drive back up to the stump.

Just re-visited a council job for a whole root as it turns out.

The clean up crew (I just grind) used a JCB for the grindings exposing previously well hidden roots which then stuck up preventing the passage of the council mowers.

I'm on local stumps this afternoon IF the bodged Murphy switch holds out.

It just...fell apart with the vibrations.

This morning, a lie in as part of my reduced hours as I cannot take full 'paternity leave' being self employed.

The Murphy switch I sourced from Enovation in the U.K.

Their French office being out of stock.

Another local electronics supplier wanted a minimum order of 50!

£45 switch, £45 postage DHL....ah well.

When in need and needs must...

The Greenmech filler cap which is of a similar size was only £9.50 postage by Royal Mail.

Replaced again another toggle switch on the remote, head up and down, would freeze in down position.

I had this issue when I bought the machine and the engineers at 'Lemon Plant' sent me out wiring diagrams, and had me taking apart the innards on site checking wires for bad earths and proposing all sorts of possible causes.

In the end, one of the biggest culprits was the worn out toggle switches on the radio remote, expendable and simple to replace.

Today, a miserable 45m line of large hazel stumps left high as they are full of metal, stone and glass.

Once out I'll plant an ornamental hedge.

Today, I will be bored...

Ty

I did wonder if it was the best tool for the job...and yes, it's a handful...even with a remote...the switches have very little sensitivity...

Mick you are absolutely right about a day for both. Actual grinding time would have been approx 6.5 hours I reckon, but cutting/digging foreign objects out, preparing the stumps and raking back chippings, took almost as long as the grinding.