EMERGENCY! Blood clotting stuff...

SteveA

:lol::lol:

Missocial media info at its best.

Someone creates a theory against all previous expert knowledge which soon becomes fact. Not having a go at you it just makes me laugh.

If im about to bleed to death please have a go at using a life saving tested and approved product rather than think, "Im sure some bloke down the internet said this is a bad idea, so err sorry mate best to leave you to die"

Post-facts era matey:001_cool: But the swine study is for real - it is dangerous for long term health. So, as was said by somebody three posts ago, its use was/is intended as a chemical tourniquet for places like the groin, abdomen neck etc. And Im totally down with that, but my concern is guys might be tempted to use the stuff on non life-threatening bleeds. If one is not used to medical trauma, its quite possible that someone will imagine it's worse than it really is - and celox the wound unnecessarily - i.e. where a bandage would do perfectly well. Thinking of myself here too by the way, Im no paramedic.

Im going to post a video which I found while researching tourniquets before buying mine. Its extremely horrible, so please think before clicking. I don't know if might be too much for this forum actually, so if I crossed the line I welcome the deletion of this post and link. But this is what I imagine a catastrophic chainsaw injury might be like to deal with. Massive respect for those guys.

[ame]

[/ame]

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched half of it , not that gruesome .

Did the left arm need a tourniquet, considering it will likely kill the arm and it did not appear to be heavily bleeding?

All the same ,top blokes and it must give some comfort knowing they are with you.

Yeah I wondered about the left arm too - didn't look like an arterial bleed but then I suppose if a casualty already lost a lot of blood then even a bit more could be fatal. A tourniquet will not necessarily kill a limb - the stories about life or limb are from the days when field hospitals were not as advanced as they are now and hours and hours might have passed before evec. Two hours is considered safe. In the past, really old wars - they'd leave a tourniquet on for days, or make them our of rope which caused overpressure on the tissue. The modern stuff is much more controllable, spreads the compression better etc.

I recently had a CAT touriquet applied at a first aid course.

The fella doing it put it on properly tight , and said that most people would be squeeling by now , and it is tight but does not cut in.

My fingers went cold , but no pins and needles.

He took it off sharpish , and my question to him , and to everyone,is this.

If a person has a major bleed whereby a tourniquet is needed , once the tourniquet is applied and the bleed stemmed , would it be prudent to apply dressing ,celox on the wound so the tourniquet can be released completely or somewhat ?

I know current thinking is to leave it on and whatever happens to the limb after that is not your problem.

The fella doing it put it on properly tight , and said that most people would be squeeling by now , and it is tight but does not cut in.

If a person has a major bleed whereby a tourniquet is needed , once the tourniquet is applied and the bleed stemmed , would it be prudent to apply dressing ,celox on the wound so the tourniquet can be released completely or somewhat ?

I know current thinking is to leave it on and whatever happens to the limb after that is not your problem.[/QUOT/]

Well I wondered that too. I'm no expert but would think in a longer term situation, remote rescue scenario I would try it, with compression bandages. You'd know soon enough if the bleed was starting again. Wouldnt use celox though, and especially not if surgery was only a few hours away, as it would complicate the surgery.

I know current thinking is to leave it on and whatever happens to the limb after that is not your problem.[/QUOT/]

Well I wondered that too. I'm no expert but would think in a longer term situation, remote rescue scenario I would try it, with compression bandages. You'd know soon enough if the bleed was starting again. Wouldnt use celox though, and especially not if surgery was only a few hours away, as it would complicate the surgery.

when we used it the nurse just washed it off with salt water

Once you have put the CAT on leave it on unless you're a surgeon etc. Chances are the bleed will restart. Why go against current medical advice, you look a right when trying to sort the same wound out twice...

Not sure on using celox on the neck, I think you'd need to be pretty sure that you won't block any vital tubes! Only really dealt with 1 serious neck injury, and I got my fingers in there and pinch the artery until my medical finished the the other more severe injuries and moved up the body. Limbs are fairly simple, to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Once you have put the CAT on leave it on unless you're a surgeon etc. Chances are the bleed will restart. Why go against current medical advice, you look a right when trying to sort the same wound out twice...

Not sure on using celox on the neck, I think you'd need to be pretty sure that you won't block any vital tubes! Only really dealt with 1 serious neck injury, and I got my fingers in there and pinch the artery until my medical finished the the other more severe injuries and moved up the body. Limbs are fairly simple, to deal with.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Arbtalk mobile app

Agreed. All the more reason to be specially careful when cutting above waist hight.

Agreed. All the more reason to be specially careful when cutting above waist hight.

You hit the nail on the head there , makes me laugh looking through some of the pictures on this forum of guys wearing the Fancy colorful chainsaws boots and the Breathable chainsaw trousers and then go up a tree with a top handle chainsaw wearing a fecking lycra tight fitting hi viz Tee shirt showing off the biceps !

Unfortunately I have first hand experience of watching my body empty itself of blood has a 14 year old kid falling through a green house !

I will tell you this now ...having a Toniqu or Celox in your first aid bum bag on your harness 40ft up a tree with a Major artery bleed is not worth a **** ! You will bleed yourself dry like a Christmas Turkey hung up . No way can you undo that first aid kit and administer it with a major bleed , you will get a hideous white flash in your eyes then adrenaline kicks in with panic plus you will **** yourself. Pull that knot and launch down hoping your grounding has not passed out first ! .

Again planning and Prevention are the best and always protect your arms at least .

Ste