Loler on cherrypicker

john p

Hydraulic hoses have a finite life and if they are showing signs of aging they should fail or you should replace them anyway. If the machine is in the region of 8 years old then definely replace the hoses. If you work on a maximum 10 year life remember a hose might have sat on the shelf for a few years before being fitted to your machine so this time should be taken off its life.

Critical hoses should be changed before this. Presumably you would consider a hose failure when you are aloft fairly inconvenient.

All cherrypickers sold in the EU (CE marked) will have a built in ballvalve on the cylinders that will stop the hydraulic flow if a hose ruptures. The boom will not fall to the ground, but it is still a good idea to change the hydraulic hoses when they show signs of cracking or if the outer layer is gone.

Yeh it's a real pain when 1 go's and dumps 20lts of oil all over a clients lawn and kills a big patch of grass that you then have to have re turfed then the client complains that the turf is better than the rest of the lawn and needs cutting twice as often so wants discount off next year's work....

Apparently :-S

All cherrypickers sold in the EU (CE marked) will have a built in ballvalve on the cylinders that will stop the hydraulic flow if a hose ruptures. The boom will not fall to the ground, but it is still a good idea to change the hydraulic hoses when they show signs of cracking or if the outer layer is gone.

I'd be very surprised if any MEWP owners thought their arm would drop like a stone in the event of a hose burst. Worth a mention to anyone who had that worry though. However the fact remains that if working in the middle of a tree say 15 metres up, extraction could be difficult without hydraulic power.

Apart from the contamination issues outlined by Mr Gray the danger from oil entering the body from a bursts or pinhole might be worth a mention. This can happen even up to a range of 3 or 4 inches so any hoses that share possible personnel space should be treated accordingly. Serious health problems can result from high pressure oil entering the body so don't run your hand over the hose to find that pinhole!!!

I'd be very surprised if any MEWP owners thought their arm would drop like a stone in the event of a hose burst. Worth a mention to anyone who had that worry though. However the fact remains that if working in the middle of a tree say 15 metres up, extraction could be difficult without hydraulic power.

Apart from the contamination issues outlined by Mr Gray the danger from oil entering the body from a bursts or pinhole might be worth a mention. This can happen even up to a range of 3 or 4 inches so any hoses that share possible personnel space should be treated accordingly. Serious health problems can result from high pressure oil entering the body so don't run your hand over the hose to find that pinhole!!!

Hydraulic injection injury - glad you mentioned that ("glad" is not really the right word though)

What are your thoughts on protective over sheaths for hyd hoses? I can see the potential benefit on the one hand, protection from UV, abrasion etc and some dissipation of a jet after hose failure, but on the other hand, possibly a tendency to "hide" a visual clue to a hose degrading and needing replacement prior to failure?

Any thoughts?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr976.pdf

Hydraulic injection injury - glad you mentioned that ("glad" is not really the right word though)

What are your thoughts on protective over sheaths for hyd hoses? I can see the potential benefit on the one hand, protection from UV, abrasion etc and some dissipation of a jet after hose failure, but on the other hand, possibly a tendency to "hide" a visual clue to a hose degrading and needing replacement prior to failure?

Any thoughts?

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/rrpdf/rr976.pdf

A hose on my mower went and that was not seen due to the fact that it had tough plastic covers on it.

That was not dangerous as such as you would have had to be standing right in front of the cutters but it did dump a load of oil as I could not see it from drivers seat and only noticed a couple of minutes later when the oil dropped in the hydro tank viewing window.

A hose on my mower went and that was not seen due to the fact that it had tough plastic covers on it.

That was not dangerous as such as you would have had to be standing right in front of the cutters but it did dump a load of oil as I could not see it from drivers seat and only noticed a couple of minutes later when the oil dropped in the hydro tank viewing window.

I've been looking at this sort of arrangement. Offers protection from abrasion / UV and potential hyd injection injury but isn't so much of a hassle as to stop you wanting to remove it to check hoses for wear.

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1461262915.723985.jpg.0701e3d359da37f525970eeb28fe7c94.jpg

I've been looking at this sort of arrangement. Offers protection from abrasion / UV and potential hyd injection injury but isn't so much of a hassle as to stop you wanting to remove it to check hoses for wear.

[ATTACH]203228[/ATTACH]

That look good my mower has hard plastic covers on the pipes that you can only take off by removing one end of the pipe off the machine which means they only get checked once in a blue moon if I'm honest(well every 300 hours) as that's the recommended hydro oil interval on my machine.

The mower is ten years plus old so it needs repiping I suppose.