Buying a Router for making mortices?

jamesd

Is buying a router for making mortises a good investment?

At the moment i use a drill bit and chisels to square out the hole, this is not the quickest method and some times not the most accurate.

So that's why i'm thinking about buying a router is this a good idea or a waste of money if i'm not going to be using it that often?

I found a cheep one in toolstation:

Silverline 1/2" Router 240V - Toolstation

Its either that or going down the route of a dewalt or makita one which are all around the £200 to £300 pound mark.

What are your thoughts?

Is there a easier way to making mortices by hand? I've got quite a few fairly large through mortises in some Beech to make soon...

Thanks for your help in advance, James.

The man who owns the woods where i carve does a fair bit of timber framing (not HUGE amounts, but he does soem). He and I used to make all joints with a drill + chisels and it too ages, these mortices would fairly deep of course for buildings.. He looked into a whole load of alternatives but in the end he bought a chain morticer. Not a cheep thing to buy I'm told, but saves a hell of a lot of time

if you have lots of mortises to do then get a good router...

you can only go in about 2 1/2"-3" with a cutter though so remember that if you have deeper ones to do then a drill and chisels are usually best.

with regards to accuracy for me it's just down to practice mate. when i became a joiner in 2002 i was poor to begin with but after 6 months you get the hang of it and they start to look a bit more like the masters work rather than a blind man.

The man who owns the woods where i carve does a fair bit of timber framing (not HUGE amounts, but he does soem). He and I used to make all joints with a drill + chisels and it too ages, these mortices would fairly deep of course for buildings.. He looked into a whole load of alternatives but in the end he bought a chain morticer. Not a cheep thing to buy I'm told, but saves a hell of a lot of time

i`m with you on this one, ive got a chisel morticer, but once owned the mafell chain one, sold it for more than I bought it but now wish i hadnt, the odd one by hand is great, but cant think of ever using a router,other than hinges,,

I think a chain morticer would be a bit to much money and in reality, wouldn't get used that often. Where as i f i had a router i would use it for other things as well i guess.

The deepest mortice would be around 4inches so if i could do 3" with a router then finish it off with a drill and chisel i would probably end up with a neater mortice in the end.

Any recommendations on which router to go for?

you can only go in about 2 1/2"-3" with a cutter though so remember that if you have deeper ones to do then a drill and chisels are usually best.

with regards to accuracy for me it's just down to practice mate. when i became a joiner in 2002 i was poor to begin with but after 6 months you get the hang of it and they start to look a bit more like the masters work rather than a blind man.

Do you use a router for a lot of your wood working joints? or still do it by hand?

A chain morticer is worth its weight in gold. Yes you can make a fine mortice slot with a router but if you're working in anything other than kitchen cupboard size the chain is king. Not forgetting the tenon maker which is a small hand held circular saw set to the appropriate depth. Followed by a plane to even the cuts up.

Alternatively a band-saw.

I had a lovely old Wadkin two headed tennoner but it was three phase and would not work in my present workshop so it was sold.

A spade bit in a good pillar drill will make a good tenon too. Finished with a wide chisel.

codlasher

With you on this.

I bought a router as listed OP and have found it more useful hung upside down on a home made router table to make mouldings. It's really about practice, hence the big raw "MF'ing" chisels are still sold:thumbup1:

Do you use a router for a lot of your wood working joints? or still do it by hand?

depends on the joint and how many i have to do. i broke it out for a couple of the joints on the benches on this job, http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/woodcraft-forum/60100-all-my-woodwork-so-far.html

i still did most of them with a hammer and a chisle but i'm a trained joiner don't forget. i find them fairly easy to do and i've done thousands over the years.

get a good router with a known brand like dewalt, makita, hitachi.

not sure what is top market gear these days so do your research.

For me it depends on what your making the mortices in.

If its rough timber for fence panels and gates etc then chain morticer for definate.

If its pse timber then a bench morticer

If fine detailing then i use hammer and chisel

I have just bought myself some timber frame chisels as well to do large mortice holes, but like steve, i also do it for a living. Its not often i use a router for morticing, but when needed on site, they do come into there own to speed things up a bit. Get a good quality one like dewalt, trend, or my favourite, a makita.

cheers