Stihl 361 oiling trouble

George Of The Jungle

Thanks for the many replies. . .

I'm using an 18 inch bar, and yes i know how to clean it all out properly and keep the chain at the right tension etc. I've run plenty of other saws and not had problems.

Stox: we have been using a much thinner oil lately, which sounds like the veg oil you describe, so maybe that's the problem!

if not then i have a feeling it will be a week oiling mech.

Thanks again to all who replied :D

Hi Yes I run a 361 and I find the same thing . If I dont use the Stihl chain Oil then I find it does not oil well it get very dry . Other brands of Oil seem thicker then Stihl Oil and dont flow though well. so now I just Stick to Stihl oil even though its more expensive the chain runs better and does not over heat giving me better overall cutting performance .

Eastwater:001_smile:

we are using veg chain oil and we find the stihl saws struggle to get the oil to the tip of the bar, this oil is much thinner and less stickiy than normal chail oil.

On that subject of veggie oil I suppose it's just a personal choice for whatever reason ,green thing whatever . I have no intention in engaging in diatribe on the subject but will interject a thought on the matter .

I know of very few people who have had luck with veggie oil as a bar and chain lubricant .It clogs the oil pumps ,blows off the bar like it were water and just doesn't supply the lubrication qualities of petrolium based oils .

• 1 month later...

You can replace the 361 oil pump with the full 460R (full wrap) high capacity oil pump assembly The Stihl part number is:

1128 640 3250 oil pump assembly

You can also keep the 361 oil pump and just replace the piston and control bolt with the 460R parts. The Stihl part numbers for these are:

1128 647 0602 oil pump piston

1128 647 4803 oil pump control bolt