Best 7 or 8 ton excavator for forestry work ??

njtimber

No body mentioned bobcat, any reason why?

Just been using a 8 ton with my grab on stacking large hardwood thinnings before extraction and found it a very nice smooth stable machine for this job.

CAT, Volvo, Hyundai, Doosan, Sany? Take your pick really, they all do the job and the gap is closing between them all the time.

People look for so many different aspects in machines, with backup from a good local Dealer playing a major part in some decisions.

There are a few that cost a bit more for a genuine reason, and these do tend to achieve higher residual value for that.

Whatever does it for you really, like I say get on the phone to a few users, even ask the salesman for some recent customers numbers, and try as many as possible, preferably in your own applications.

I tell many people a £500 hire for a week that results in the working demo of the actual machine you are looking for in real world work is little money to get the decision right.

Done on a paying job, it may just be a demo that pays a few pound as a bonus.

Eddie.

It would have to be Takeuchi for me!

What would be the main factors behind that choice? Probably tops my current list too, and we have just gained a new Dealer on the doorstep, but Kubota could possibly edge it come the crunch with a very competitive two piece boom on offer compared to others.

Eddie.

CAT, Volvo, Hyundai, Doosan, Sany? Take your pick really, they all do the job and the gap is closing between them all the time.

People look for so many different aspects in machines, with backup from a good local Dealer playing a major part in some decisions.

There are a few that cost a bit more for a genuine reason, and these do tend to achieve higher residual value for that.

Whatever does it for you really, like I say get on the phone to a few users, even ask the salesman for some recent customers numbers, and try as many as possible, preferably in your own applications.

I tell many people a £500 hire for a week that results in the working demo of the actual machine you are looking for in real world work is little money to get the decision right.

Done on a paying job, it may just be a demo that pays a few pound as a bonus.

Eddie.

have you had a look at the sany eddie

• 1 year later...

Hi all, kinda getting back to being productive, on my own behalf,  post early and unexpected retirement about a year ago.

Hence my absence on ere.

Anyway, with 20 years worth of sheaugh and fence maint to catch up on, and unlimited time to spend twiddling the levers mesel, I am reasonably committed to buying my own excavator.

Since I am in peat moss a bigger machine on, reasonably wide, steel tracks is a given.

Was looking at between 8 and 13 tonne machines.

Found a 5000 hr Case CX 80 locally, on city pads, but presumably wider steel pads should be a straightforward and affordable  fit.

It looks big enough, and I may ask for a weeks trial, or hire, to see how it copes in certain specific situations.

I would love a Takeuchi 175 or a Kubota 8 tonner, but would find it hard to justify the serious extra spend on a first machine, plus not many about on steel tracks or city pads, in Ireland leastwise.

Regards

Marcus, the hat.

Edited by difflock

At The age of models your talking about I’d doubt you will better the Takeuchi tb175, contractor near me has one for stone walling and it has a pretty rough time I think. The tb175 is built better than any 8 tonner I have come across, with features more similar to 13 tonners ie twin lifting rams on the boom and dozer blade. All steel body work- good for rough and tumble work. The trouble as you say is not many to be seen on steels, but generally the case with 8 tonners on the whole- that said you’ll get a lot more for your money the bigger you go and all 13tonners tend to be on steel.

• Like 1

same dealer was offering a DAWEOO 140LCV, with 7700 hrs, and asking for £1500.00 more than for the CX 80 case.

My gut feeling would favour Case over Daweoo

Daweoo is 2005, Case is 2006

Since the Daweoo needs new chains and sprockets

and the Case only needs new track pads

prob near-nuff even-stevens price wise, so I just needa pick my horse.

I will be talking to him again tomorrow and see what else he is likely to have coming through shortly

cheers

mth

Edit

A wile pity I could not use a heavier machine, cos ah found a proper bargain of a Leibherr 900, & see link;

http://www.bobholmes.uk.com/5-ton/

Edited by difflock
addendum

O.K.

Now focussing on a TB175.

Just need to establish the cost and practicality of retro fitting steel tracks when the "as fitted" rubber ones are done, and budget that into my costings.

Happy enough with  Takeuchi  as I took a serious look at the brand, its choice of engine supplier, and its engineering pedigree some 10+ years ago when buying an excavator for work, we ended up with a Neuson, due to a then local dealership.

But I could not fault the Takeuchi.

mth

P.S.

Twin rams are not necessarily better than a single fatter ram, since the same oil pressure is feeding both rams, so no stiffer an arrangement, mechanically speaking,  plus buckling loads ( and consult Mr. Euler) make a slender ram more prone to damage or failure, when pushing.

Though the side mounting helps to protect the rod from damage, and possibly aids with the reach geometry.

so, purely horses for courses.