Sharing some of my recent work

Chris Scott

Long time since I posted anything so I thought it was high time I shared!

Here are some vaping mods that i've finished up in the last couple of weeks, these are all made with stabilized wood, which I stabilize myself using cactus juice, some of them are hybrids cast with a polyurethane resin to make up the blank.

Most of these are local horsechestnut burr, there is one oak and one Maple at the bottom.

I would dearly like to source some nice poplar, lime, or willow burr to play with too, possible birch also. Getting bored of horsechestnut, but it does give lovely results, the dyes come though nice and brightly on it.

EPE4x0V.png

Y05Ribo.png

E7F43mL.png

ElqpwAe.png

VRf0AKP.png

ypngUV9.png

Chwlkfl.png

Its a device for vaping, alternative to smoking. So it houses a battery, and a circuit board to regulate the power, the fitting on the top is to screw on an atomiser. The empty hole at the front with a cut out is where a bottle of e liquid fits in which you can squeeze to push liquid up into the atomizer to feed it.

For scale, these are 90mmx50mmx45mm

Thumbs up for vaping, started a year ago and never touched a fag since, can be great fun if you like tinkering and building your own coils and mixing juices. Currently chuffing with a raspberry cheesecake flavor...... smooth creamy and little if any toxins compared to tobacco. Smells better to.

Thumbs up for vaping, started a year ago and never touched a fag since, can be great fun if you like tinkering and building your own coils and mixing juices. Currently chuffing with a raspberry cheesecake flavor...... smooth creamy and little if any toxins compared to tobacco. Smells better to.

You missed out 'makes you looks ridiculous' :biggrin:

Nice work , love the colours do you just paint on wood dye , also how big are they and do you sell them , been into the vape thing for 6 months or more and havent smoked a fag since , would defo like one of those as long as its not too big , could you please take a pick of one in your hand so I can get an idea of how big many thanks Mark

I don't use wood dye, I stabilize the wood using a vacuum process and a product called cactus juice. Basically the wood becomes completely saturated in liquid resin which is then cured by baking it and the wood itself depending on the species and how punky it is can gain up to 3x its original mass, making it much harder and stronger and stable to movement in differing humidities. Added bonus is that you can add dye to the stabilizing resin to get these colours all the way through the wood and you can buff it to a high shine, a bit like an acrylic pen blank.

So I start out with a rectangular blank of wood, stabilize it, and then no more colour is added after that stage. Its then shaped using a router, bench drill and sand paper and finally polished with a buffing wheel. After all this is done I add the hardware and call it good.

Size wise there are 90mm tall, 50mm wide, and 45mm deep at the widest, designed to be a comfortable, ergonic fit in the hand.

WDUsw6N.png

This one was the prototype, and its changed alittle over the last few months, I use a different PCB now and you'll see the ones in the OP has more buttons to select various options in the hardware, for scale the metal faceplate on the mods at the top is 72mmx22mm.

Edited by Chris Scott