CS100 Question

saltwater

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a cs100 for two years and it's done a power of work, it's done some fairly hefty takedowns as well, lots of sending at times. But with a sympathetic user who listens to the engine note it can push through some volume. Now a tr6 is joining us as like others have said the cs100 may be good but it is a bottleneck at times.

If you go the cs100 route then a decent trailer and something which can tow 3500kg is a must to cart away the timber which is oversize, I bought this setup by accident and am grateful I did.

Replace the belts aswell straight away or buy spares and carry them as the original factory ones mine came with were utter garbage!

Surely you wouldn't need to compete with the guys who run bigger chippers due to the difference in overheads?? I personally would rather take a bit longer on jobs and come away with a load of cord wood and white finger. That's just me though

I don't think there is that much difference in overheads, looking at arblease the difference in the cs100 vs the gm130 is £100 a month or £25 a week. Labours gonna be your biggest outlay so saving time makes up the difference and more if you can do just one extra small job a month!

Of all your overheads in business, time is one of the most important 'variable' costs.

Finance for example is a 'fixed' cost.

The more you invest in anything that saves time the more competative you will be.

I spent the best part of 5k on a CS100 and to be fair I used it above and beyond the call of duty.

It made me money and when I sold it on I got an excellent price for it.

However, not saying the CS100 or it's type are bad machines at all BUT...

If I'd bit the bullet and gone for a used 6" machine for the same money in the begining, my labour costs would have a been a fraction of of those required to feed the CS100.

I would have increased my profit and been able to undertake far larger jobs from the very start thus advancing the business.

Ty

For those of you who have made the jump to a bigger machine, was it leap of faith to do it?

I've been out on my own since last october and i've been 6 days a week mostly since... But the thought of taking on finance for a bigger machine over 4 years concerns me though having said that i'm very nearly at the point where I have no choice

After all labour and comsumables i'm making about 750 a week...is that cheap. I haven't spoken to many other tree surgeons so don't know. I've got more wood than i know what to do with.... I think finance is well affordable but it's just what if i have a quiet period

I'm sure they're decent, thought about getting one but preferred tow behind rather than needing a trailer, plus paid 2k for it and sold it for 2.5k!

Also how many customers want the chip? Very rarely when I ask do they want any so think it would be very limited how often it would be needed to get into a back garden?

I'm just in the process of building a trailer for mine. I'm planning on it being a similar layout to the 18/100 - it certainly won't be any bigger or heavier, but can be wheeled off when needed. There's no negative to it that I can see.

I was using mine in just that situation today. Taking the chipper to the branches meant I could chip 20-30 branches into a wheelie bin then drag that out and tip it. Better than dragging 20-30 branches to the chipper. It saved me hours of walking.

I'm also amazed at the material it handled. I thought after reading this topic that I'd push it a little to see how it coped. It chipped a good length of 5" willow that I thought would stall it. The drum design seems to stop it from over feeding on thicker stuff. It doesn't pull as hard on thick branches as a disk chipper - probably because at that point the blades are pushing away nearly as much as pulling? It certainly would have killed my 18-100 or given me a serious beating trying to slow the feed, that's if it would even have fitted down the throat. After that I gave it a fork that would have a TW150 scrabbling for grip. In fact I'm positive that it wouldn't have fitted. The wide throat allowed that piece in with ease.

Edited by njc110381