Husq 550xp Dud

Mellish

Looking for advice on what to try next...

Wife bought me a new 550xp two years ago via an online shop in the north. Took it to a local dealer because it wasn't starting in Nov 2015 - dealer put in the hot start fix. Left it alone over the winter. Late Feb started it - a bit weak but thought it might be the chain was blunt. Used it for 20 mins on Aspen and then it wouldn't start. Took it back and they said there was problem with the piston in the barrel. The warranty was one week out of date - so quoting £350 to repair. Total work on the chip is 10 hours.

Is the advice just buy Stihl??

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for advice on what to try next...

Wife bought me a new 550xp two years ago via an online shop in the north. Took it to a local dealer because it wasn't starting in Nov 2015 - dealer put in the hot start fix. Left it alone over the winter. Late Feb started it - a bit weak but thought it might be the chain was blunt. Used it for 20 mins on Aspen and then it wouldn't start. Took it back and they said there was problem with the piston in the barrel. The warranty was one week out of date - so quoting £350 to repair. Total work on the chip is 10 hours.

Is the advice just buy Stihl??

Husqvarna brought out a new cylinder and piston kit , Top cover and Autotune updates for the 550xp ,crank bearings are well known issues with these saws , my own personal saw had a worn cylinder at 50 hours 2014 model .. if your cutting firewood try a Husky 365 ...

One of our 550's was returned to husky by our local dealers who couldn't get it running properly and apparently they returned it saying they wouldn't touch it as its out of warranty.

I tried the support line, to see if they'd cut me some slack, but they told me on the phone and by email that their warranty people only deal with suppliers.

I don't think I'd get another Husq - I had a 350 before it and it was major piece of physical exercise to get it started (20 pulls) and the 550 is a little better, but that hot start issue just over-developed the one side of my body. I want a machine that starts in one or three pulls - not ten. Plus the 350 was always getting fixed.

Everyone I know uses Stihl and say they have no problems.

Size of machine: I have to do a bit of everything - firewood, big trunks, limbing - just not a whole lot. So something like low-end commercial machine is about right.

Looking at some other posts here, I'm contemplating trying to fix it myself, but I guess that's just going to be even more pain (and I still end up with a Husq...). But where do you get parts?

I'd hang on for a bit Husqvarna do read this forum so you may get a response.. The telephone contact is frustrating but at least it's not like the Stihl contact line which is patronising as well as frustrating... Also if you have damage to the cylinder I would be inclined to take that up with aspen as that should not be happening either.

I tried the support line, to see if they'd cut me some slack, but they told me on the phone and by email that their warranty people only deal with suppliers.

I don't think I'd get another Husq - I had a 350 before it and it was major piece of physical exercise to get it started (20 pulls) and the 550 is a little better, but that hot start issue just over-developed the one side of my body. I want a machine that starts in one or three pulls - not ten. Plus the 350 was always getting fixed.

Everyone I know uses Stihl and say they have no problems.

Size of machine: I have to do a bit of everything - firewood, big trunks, limbing - just not a whole lot. So something like low-end commercial machine is about right.

Looking at some other posts here, I'm contemplating trying to fix it myself, but I guess that's just going to be even more pain (and I still end up with a Husq...). But where do you get parts?

To be fair our husky's have all been faultless until they've gone wrong 😃

I think the problems have all been down to the auto tune, it just seems a bit silly that the manufacturers can't get one of there own saws running.

That saw's probably over 3 yrs old now and was always the first saw out the container every day so prob not been bad value. We switched from stihl after our 261 was so pants and if we have to replace it I'll go husky again.

I'd hang on for a bit Husqvarna do read this forum so you may get a response.. The telephone contact is frustrating but at least it's not like the Stihl contact line which is patronising as well as frustrating... Also if you have damage to the cylinder I would be inclined to take that up with aspen as that should not be happening either.

I would say that the saw has an underlying fault that has caused the issue rather than Aspen ! it cant compensate for a saw with a fault ..