how much for this load

gibby marr

£240 according to SWB.

And you get to cut them down for nothing as well. :001_smile:

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/180661-post341.html

from what i have learned from this forum, a builders bag weighs approx 250kg when loose filled and seasoned, i sell these for 60quid a bag, and i was told down south this is quite cheap. so 4 bags makes 1000kg, or tonne.

i have 3 ash trees to take down, they range from 36-60 feet. start at about 14 inches and dont go under 8 inch to the top. they are in a car park. i could have them down and logged on site in a morning easy, just me and my dad they are the perfect size for minimium handling to make firewood. the chip is staying, but we will use most of the timber, i reckon we will easy get 10 dumpy bags out of these trees. so thats 600 quid, for a mornings work. now i am not taking them down for nothing, but they are getting it cheaper than what i would of charges last year. but even if i were taking them down for free for the tree owner i would still make money when i sold the logs, so at the end of the day i would still get a wage:001_smile:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i have learned from this forum, a builders bag weighs approx 250kg when loose filled and seasoned, i sell these for 60quid a bag, and i was told down south this is quite cheap. so 4 bags makes 1000kg, or tonne.

i have 3 ash trees to take down, they range from 36-60 feet. start at about 14 inches and dont go under 8 inch to the top. they are in a car park. i could have them down and logged on site in a morning easy, just me and my dad they are the perfect size for minimium handling to make firewood. the chip is staying, but we will use most of the timber, i reckon we will easy get 10 dumpy bags out of these trees. so thats 600 quid, for a mornings work. now i am not taking them down for nothing, but they are getting it cheaper than what i would of charges last year. but even if i were taking them down for free for the tree owner i would still make money when i sold the logs, so at the end of the day i would still get a wage:001_smile:

Well, as long as you can find ash trees of that description to cut down 5 days a week .....

I can see logic in what you are saying Stevie but, I would look at perhaps £400 to take `em down, remove from site, do another job in the afternoon(say another £400), then on a wet day do the £600 in firewood(plus a bit more if you say it could be done as part of day 1)

Total £1400+ for one days good graft and one day steady in a shed when anything else would be nasty:thumbup1:

Well' date=' as long as you can find ash trees of that description to cut down 5 days a week .....[/quote']

i dont need to, i am flat out with tree surgery , what i am meaning is itis possible make money from firewood these days:001_smile:

but there are plenty of land owners with trees and struggling tree surgery outfits just now, so if you cant get paid to fell em, try getting paid for splitting them. if it puts bread on hte table or beats your competitor then why not:001_smile:

Late Saturday night, I'm only playing Devil's Advocate for a bit of fun. :biggrin:

Clearly there is money to be made from selling firewood.

However, I don't see how firewood from tree surgery waste can be more profitable than the actual work itself.

To suggest that you can do tree work for nothing, because in return, you will get the raw materials to make, process, store & season, advertise and deliver a saleable article, is ridiculous.

Aside from the fact, that while you are doing all this firewood, you are not doing any more tree work, and if you are doing less tree work you will have less raw material timber to make firewood from....

So you have to go back to doing tree work.....

But, no-one wants to pay you for doing it, because last time you did it for nothing.

And this time the customer wants to keep the logs for his wood burner.

Ever decreasing circles.

i dont need to, i am flat out with tree surgery , what i am meaning is itis possible make money from firewood these days:001_smile:

but there are plenty of land owners with trees and struggling tree surgery outfits just now, so if you cant get paid to fell em, try getting paid for splitting them. if it puts bread on hte table or beats your competitor then why not:001_smile:

your not wrong I reckon a single man with 1x37 could easily make 25k a year approaching woodland owners offering free thining. There are acres of unmanaged woodlands round here full of 8 -16 inch ash. Thought about it my self, then I realised I would have to pay a man £25,000 to run the setup:001_rolleyes:

Offers of free woodland felling is starting to kick off round here, but prices would have to rise to a lot more than £240 a tonne before free tree surgery.

Edited by David Riding

only in the way you wrote your little story, in my little story it works just fine. not every customer gets the same contract, if it is a scabby conifer, it gets chipped and left for the chiminea, someone has a huge pop behind a shed that takes 4 days to dismantle gets charged a fortune, someone has 3 prime firewood ash trees in a car park and they dont have a big budget then BINGO, jobs a good en. if the ash tree guy is in the pub spending his spare money on booze and offers to buy a friend a pint, but the friend says he cant afford to buy him one back because he has just had a huge poplar tree removed and it cost him thousands, and only has enough money for his own drink, then that is fine. if we worried about every possible eventuality that comes out of each job then we would end up worrying too much..:001_smile:and in my little story i never called any of your ideas rediculios, i am hypothetically speaking about all these scenarios. and if lets say i was having to wait 6 months to get a return on my free tree surgery firewood for sale business then all i would do is work out my 6 month of expenses, tie it into my business plan and borrow that amount to tide me over until the sales os seasoned firewood began, bu ti would of obviously sold most of my timber unseasoned at a discounted rate, the timber i took down for nothing would be seasoning inthe customers garden as this would be tied into the deal, saving me double haulage and storage.:001_cool:

I have two apologies to make.

1. Gibby, sorry for derailing your thread. :blushing:

2. SWB, I am sorry if you don't like my comments.

I stand by the fact that doing tree surgery work in return for the logs that may make some money, someday, is a another nail in the coffin of an already struggling industry.

The logs should be the iceing on top of the cake served for dessert.

Not the bread that makes up the main course.

I had a guy call me the other saying that he had been told that his conifer tree was worth a fortune in timber. Now whether it was a top bit of yew or western red cedar made no difference to me, he wanted me to come and fell remove the tree and pay him! Obviously wasnt going to happen.

I bet the tree will still be there in 10 years time :001_smile: