Vehicle HPi checks

SteveA

Well, we need a second car and I've been on the hunt for about a month.... nothing decent enough has turned up in this part of the UK (the far, far South West Wales) so I've gone for the option of searching for a car hundreds of miles away (everything is hundreds of miles away from here/ at least that's what it feels like).

Then.... woooo!! Hey presto!!... a perfect used car turns up and it's only a 4hr drive away (that's if I drive very, very fast and probably lose my licence).

So Steve is sat on the iPad and rubbing his knees.... oooooh, nice alloys, oooooh low mileage.... and oooooooooh, it actually has air-con, and.... Steve stops rubbing his knees and gets on the phone.

No answer. Dammit.

Okay, before we leave... I suppose I should do a check on the vehicle. Basic check for £1.99 text service or RAC full Hpi check for £14.99... errr, um.... oh sod it.... I saved so much on those Piranha chains I can be less frugal.

Full RAC HPi check it is!!.....

And...

The report land in my inbox.... Doh!! It's been damaged somehow :thumbdown: .... Category D. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So, Steve is glad that he didn't leave home and drive so far. Just miffed that the dealer didn't mention a pip about it being a Category D.

Be interesting to hear other vehicle purchasing horror stories....

cheers, steve

Well, we need a second car and I've been on the hunt for about a month.... nothing decent enough has turned up in this part of the UK (the far, far South West Wales) so I've gone for the option of searching for a car hundreds of miles away (everything is hundreds of miles away from here/ at least that's what it feels like).

Then.... woooo!! Hey presto!!... a perfect used car turns up and it's only a 4hr drive away (that's if I drive very, very fast and probably lose my licence).

So Steve is sat on the iPad and rubbing his knees.... oooooh, nice alloys, oooooh low mileage.... and oooooooooh, it actually has air-con, and.... Steve stops rubbing his knees and gets on the phone.

No answer. Dammit.

Okay, before we leave... I suppose I should do a check on the vehicle. Basic check for £1.99 text service or RAC full Hpi check for £14.99... errr, um.... oh sod it.... I saved so much on those Piranha chains I can be less frugal.

And...

The report land in my inbox.... Doh!! It's been damaged somehow :thumbdown: .... Category D. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

So, Steve is glad that he didn't leave home and drive so far. Just miffed that the dealer didn't mention a pip about it being a Category D.

cheers, steve

In what way is that a horror story?

Pretty standard behavior from a crap car dealer, however don't be put off by the fact its a catD. Probably only had a couple of panels or new rad.

It's a useful bargaining tool because everyone is frightened of any catergories;)

I've got an ongoing one at the minute, bought the wife a 55 reg vauxhall vectra at the end of November as she wanted something more substantial for going up north to visit her family, had it about a month and starts rough idling, got aa out and diagnosed it as the dual mass flywheel breaking down, rang the dealer got the sorry mate sold as seen, trade sale etc bull, clutch and flywheel was quoted £550 on an £800 car, so quick bit of research remembering something I'd read regarding the new consumer act bought in last October and I ring him back to tell him he can no longer sell it as sold as seen and is his liability to sort it out, in the mean time put it into the garage to have the flywheel done so we can use it, £550 later it comes out running same as it went in along with a while list of other faults they found while it was in, so it's now sat on yard and looks like we're taking the dealer to court to get the money back as he's ignoring all correspondence.

In what way is that a horror story?

Pretty standard behavior from a crap car dealer, however don't be put off by the fact its a catD. Probably only had a couple of panels or new rad.

It's a useful bargaining tool because everyone is frightened of any catergories;)

well, it HORRIFIES me!!.... so in my fragile mind it's a horror story.

I'm still clutching my pillow behind the sofa. :001_huh:

cheers, steve

cheers, steve

I hope you recover from the ordeal :)

Better luck with the next one. Buying from a reputable dealer helps a lot. Also if you can stay local and reputable you'll be far better off if anything starts to go wrong.

Even if it means you don't buy the exact car you want

cheers, steve

Also, quick bit of info for next time.

Even if you don't need finance on the vehicle if you say you do then all of this will come to light immediately.

The finance company will HPI the car for you, or the dealer will come out with the truth before you start filling in the application forms for the finance. Saves you £14.99

Also, quick bit of info for next time.

Even if you don't need finance on the vehicle if you say you do then all of this will come to light immediately.

The finance company will HPI the car for you, or the dealer will come out with the truth before you start filling in the application forms for the finance. Saves you £14.99

Nice one. Great plan :thumbup: Like that. :thumbup1:

cheers, steve

No answer. Dammit.

And...

cheers, steve

Nicely put... nothing like a good read!!!... not to mention a heads up to some of us tight fisted gits....:thumbup1:

Nicely put... nothing like a good read!!!... not to mention a heads up to some of us tight fisted gits....:thumbup1:

The dealer picked up my answerphone message and called me back this morning.... so I told him "yeah, I ran an Hpi check on it. Turns out it's a Cat D so I'm not interested".

He said "oh, it's a part exchange".... then the phone went quiet; he didn't want to chat anymore about it, not sure why?! I was up for talking much more than that.

So I muttered expletives & headed off to the kitchen for a cup of tea & toast with proper butter.... although the butter had sea salt crystals in it and I find them a bit too zingy. :thumbdown:

cheers, Steve

Edited by SteveA
I spelt my name wrong. That's because I've had ale.