Help me save ny rowan trees

conservationist

Personally, I would say that the trees have done thier time..

I see loads of dead and dying rowans every week up here. They seem to get to a certain maturity and then die off..

Fell and replant I would suggest.

could be. the are not really mature though.

The trees around them are not so big..and they seem to have enough area for sunlight.

Maybe climate change has got a fair bit to do with it. they say spiders are surviving longer this year and are getting bigger..there is def some climate shift happenning.

fell and re-plant would be good idea...but i am sure the costumer would rather try to save them first.

I told the costumer to post on here..as i had no idea why the were dying. I will take a trip out there and take better pics when i can..would be great if someone on here can help.

could be. the are not really mature though.

The trees around them are not so big..and they seem to have enough area for sunlight.

Maybe climate change has got a fair bit to do with it. they say spiders are surviving longer this year and are getting bigger..there is def some climate shift happenning.

fell and re-plant would be good idea...but i am sure the costumer would rather try to save them first.

I told the costumer to post on here..as i had no idea why the were dying. I will take a trip out there and take better pics when i can..would be great if someone on here can help.

I'll go and fell them if that helps?? :biggrin:

As it happens I have just spent a week turning a scrub birch and rowan woodland site into a smart amenity belt and have come across literally thousands of dead, dying or generally crappy rowans... deffinatley something up with them this year.

They say that when the rowans are loaded with berries it's a sign of a hard winter to come.. some of the ones i've seen aound here are literally bursting with berries.

I'll go and fell them if that helps?? :biggrin:

As it happens I have just spent a week turning a scrub birch and rowan woodland site into a smart amenity belt and have come across literally thousands of dead, dying or generally crappy rowans... deffinatley something up with them this year.

They say that when the rowans are loaded with berries it's a sign of a hard winter to come.. some of the ones i've seen aound here are literally bursting with berries.

I would prefer to save the trees if possible. I do not think spiders are a factor,have not noticed an increase in spiders or craneflies here.

I would prefer to save the trees if possible. I do not think spiders are a factor,have not noticed an increase in spiders or craneflies here.

Give them a good hard crown reduction and mulch around the base of each tree to a radius of around 1.5m.....

It wont be a guaranteed way of bringing them back but it may help.

Failing that there is not much you can do but fell and replant i'm afraid.

I'm sure Martyn would be able to do reductions and sort some decent mulch... when mulching around trees we use bags of garden compost around the base first and then plenty of woodchip over the top but you can buy big bags of pre-prepared mulch.

Give them a good hard crown reduction and mulch around the base of each tree to a radius of around 1.5m.....

It wont be a guaranteed way of bringing them back but it may help.

The last thing a sick tree needs is an energy zapping surgery......

I would recommend the trees are decompacted and mulched, radial or surface, an added bio-stimulant would encourage the soil into action too..........

going by the look of your gardens position you get a fair bit of wind, the spruce behind are pretty sparse to a higher point than you rowans are, you wont notice this on the little corsican/scotty as it is a hardier little guy facing into the wind. we have had a rough old time with the weather up here. it rained for over 40 days and we didnt get much of a breather through august then the wind really picked up for a week in september. they dont look the greatest of specimens tbh due to their location, from your point of view you want to save your trees, so you might be blinkered with the facts, i would plant some more trees around them and get some management into your garden. unfortunatley people hate to cut down their trees but also forget to plant so it is all or nothing if they loose them. ground works could be a factor, but trees are pretty tough, they may just of had their time, at least if you plant some more just now, if you do have to remove the others then it wont seem so hard for you. it is hard to tell from just a couple of pice though.