TPO specification?

benedmonds

It doesn't have to get personal... It is a discussion, state your opinion, which others might agree with or not and you might not even be right..

It's not personal, we don't know each other.

I stated an opinion - based on the available information.

Did you only want supportive replies?

Wasn't meant to upset, just what I thought from the OP.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated an opinion - based on the available information.

The way you state your opinion is very often abrupt and as if it is fact. It's not you are often wrong.. IMO..

Everyone is being exceptionally tactful and reserved, maybe some people have met or have social connections which is tempering the replies....?

It's a discussion, I don't think people were being tactful, some maybe think it is way out, some a little bit, others fine. I post to get views of others so I can help make future decisions..

Others would disagree...

I am not going to get into further discussion as I find your posts unhelpful

The way you state your opinion is very often abrupt and as if it is fact. It's not you are often wrong.. IMO..

It's a discussion, I don't think people were being tactful, some maybe think it is way out, some a little bit, others fine. I post to get views of others so I can help make future decisions..

Others would disagree...

I am not going to get into further discussion as I find your posts unhelpful

I am abrupt...

No intention to cause any upset.

Therefore stating the amount to be removed is easier for a contractor to understand. This can't however be a single number as we need to cut back to grown points. Hence the 1-2m..

Then the spec should say this. e.g. "reduce crown by between 1 and 2 metres, cutting to suitable growth points to accord with BS 3998, to produce an average reduction of 1.5 metres, resulting in a final crown height of X to (X+1) metres and width of Y to (Y+1) metres".

Contractor can understand it, Council can check it, and it gives legitimate scope to choose suitable positions for final cut.

Time taken to draft wording, 4 minutes, including correcting typos.

• 2 weeks later...

I find it so frustrating that each council has such different processes for checking firstly any restrictions and then applying. The council we mainly apply with expect a very detailed application, compared to another recently who altered the detailed application to : "prune Oak by crown reduction and crown lifting." !!

I find it so frustrating that each council has such different processes for checking firstly any restrictions and then applying. The council we mainly apply with expect a very detailed application, compared to another recently who altered the detailed application to : "prune Oak by crown reduction and crown lifting." !!

This is not helpful.

I would (strongly) recommend always specifying to the higher level such that it becomes "the norm" for you (and of course it accords with the principles of BS3998.) Obviously the LPA can change the works consented by use of a condition if they so wish.

The description of work you cite above is not prescriptive and open to interpretation and being (mis) applied I would suggest. Enforcement / prosecution would then be very difficult.

Cheers..

Paul

As somebody who deals with this day in and out I would knock back the app and ask for further detail to include all specifications.

The current guidance is not to give percentages (which are ambiguous at best) but to provide measurement from lateral branches – ie how short from the crown it is intended to cut.

We can also ask for cut diameter in relation to branches/extension growth pruning.

As somebody who deals with this day in and out I would knock back the app and ask for further detail to include all specifications.

The current guidance is not to give percentages (which are ambiguous at best) but to provide measurement from lateral branches – ie how short from the crown it is intended to cut.

We can also ask for cut diameter in relation to branches/extension growth pruning.

Just wondering...

At 7.7.2 in BS3998 it says,

"NOTE 1 Specifications for a percentage reduction are imprecise and

unsatisfactory without reference to length, height, spread etc."

Presumably, this means that if there is a reference to length, height or spread etc., then specifications can be considered precise?

eg, I wish to reduce the tree by 10% of its total height. The tree report shows that the tree is currently 20m tall.

or,

I wish to reduce my tree by 15% of its total spread. At the moment, the tree has a total spread of 16m.

Cheers :001_smile: