A bizarre frame of mind

jtw2140

I'm a definitely an inexperienced climber given its not my normal day job, but I love the work! And always want to know more that can help me be a better climber!

However, bizarrely, I have developed this debilitating fear when I'm climbing! And I've no idea why or where it's from! I'm slow, and check and re check everything, I worry about my anchors and about using the saw anywhere near my rope or lanyard...

Anyone else ever had this, and any ideas how I can rid it and get back to loving it again!?

All the best

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really suffer from any fear of the job myself, other than the odd dodgy or big tree, but I'd say it's not definitely a bad thing as it's always best to be safe.

How long have you been climbing? It may just be linked to the amount of time you have been climbing or if you have had a near miss etc etc.

Like I say it's never a bad thing to make sure your safe.

You'll be fine as long as you keep feeling that way.

After working as an IRATA climber for years and with well over 20 years of rock and ice climbing, I still feel that way, and that's without having a chainsaw in my hands.

Complacency leads to serious accidents and you only get to die once.

I'm a definitely an inexperienced climber given its not my normal day job, but I love the work! And always want to know more that can help me be a better climber!

However, bizarrely, I have developed this debilitating fear when I'm climbing! And I've no idea why or where it's from! I'm slow, and check and re check everything, I worry about my anchors and about using the saw anywhere near my rope or lanyard...

Anyone else ever had this, and any ideas how I can rid it and get back to loving it again!?

All the best

When you say debilitating fear,what do you mean exactly-like you cant climb as your scared,or you get to a certain height and koala and need rescued or is it just your anxious..?

If its the latter dont fret too much with experience comes trust and once you start to trust your gear you 'll be able to function in the tree.

Checking your equipment is no bad thing,it'll keep you safe

I still get little pangs of fear now and again but its fighting through those doubts that will make you a better climber.

Ive found some people are naturally gifted and take to climbing very easily...some dont but manage to soldier on with guts and determination...im one of the latter.

I sometimes still get the elvis knee when high up,although only my left knee bizarley

Yeah I've been through this exact thing. Climb more is the only answer. Go recreational climbing whenever you get a chance. Pick a crappy tree. Pick a good tree. Get to a tie in point, then go to a higher one. On the last day of my 38/39 we were allowed to do what we wanted and practice things we thought we needed to brush up on. I came from experience and felt everything was under wraps; apart from going big. So, I picked the biggest oak there was in the woods and climbed to the top. I hung from my harness for over 2 hours not really doing much. Then I'd move around and plot up again taking in the views. Try some jumps and swings as well, it really helps you get confidence in your kit. Remember as well, most of your gear is rated to hold 2-3 tons!!!

When I say enjoying it I mean I'd go up and enjoy it, desperate checking my kit before I went and making sure that chain brake is on etc... But now I'm looking for excuses to let the other climber go up, or I notice how slow I am... And I don't mean cautiously slow, I mean agonisingly. Very tentative! And very frustrating to myself! I want to be able to shimmy up and swing around with no proba at all... But of course remaining safe!

When I say enjoying it I mean I'd go up and enjoy it, desperate checking my kit before I went and making sure that chain brake is on etc... But now I'm looking for excuses to let the other climber go up, or I notice how slow I am... And I don't mean cautiously slow, I mean agonisingly. Very tentative! And very frustrating to myself! I want to be able to shimmy up and swing around with no proba at all... But of course remaining safe!

It will pass . What you don't want is to become complacent .