woodburner / kitchen extractor question

woodland dweller

Fitting a new kitchen on a cottage refurb for a customer and the extractor is vented externally.

Chap came and fitted the woodburner and said he could not sign it off unless we extract thro carbon filters as it was too close to extract thro the wall.

Distance from woodburner to extractor about 10 foot.

Never heard of this rule, is he correct ?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a carpenter and have come across this problem. We fitted a cooker hood in a room with a wood burner and the burner fitter made a right fuss. He lit the burner and straight away turned the hood on full. Sure enough it put the fire out and drew smoke into the room from around the door seals, it actually was quite funny to watch. I'm sure if he had allowed the chimney to heat up and start to draw, it wouldn't have happened.

To solve the problem we had to chop in 2 9x9 air bricks and disable the maximum setting on the fan before he was happy.

At another more recent job, with an extractor hood in a kitchen with a log burner, I asked the burner fitter if it would be an issue due to our earlier problems and he said no. He didn't even check the burner with the extractor running. All he wanted was a standard air vent that is always fitted in a room with a log burner. So I guess it's pot luck on how fussy the log burner guy is.

We have a multi fuel in the kitchen & when we had a new kitchen fitted last year the guys tested the fan/fire by put in a smoke bomb in & turning the fan on. As no smoke was pulled from the fire everyone was happy to sign off on it.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

So... if planning a new build should there be a duct into the fire for the air required to burn rather than drawing it through random leaks?

Yes, usually a floor vent close to stove or a wall vent in the area, helps to lessen draughts getting drawn throughout house a bit too.

Sometimes vents are connected directly to stove, probably the best method, but others may know better.