Cutting tree roots to fell?

Thesnarlingbadger

Did they have a matador winch tied mid way on the tree as well? I've seen my old lecturer at college show me photos of such an operation from when he worked at Kew.

I never fully understood the logic of doing this in that tv program it would of cost time and money on chains and more importantly energy , I think the guy was one of those people who liked to make life hard for himself.

Yeah i don't think you move to the middle of nowhere if you don't like to make life hard for yourself.

I am still miffed by it all, I guess people have there own ways of doing things. Has to have been a tungsten chain but they would surely bunt pretty quickly with that sort of extreme use. And you can't just sharpen them with a normal file.

Did they have a matador winch tied mid way on the tree as well? I've seen my old lecturer at college show me photos of such an operation from when he worked at Kew.

I never fully understood the logic of doing this in that tv program it would of cost time and money on chains and more importantly energy , I think the guy was one of those people who liked to make life hard for himself.

I don't know - if I think on I will ask him next time I see him

I think that a lot of these lifestyle shows have people doing things in a deliberately spectacular way just for the camera. I recall an episode of Amazing Spaces where a log was split using explosives. I could have done the same thing with axe and wedges, but it made a nice BOOM sound, magnificent sight of the two halves falling apert, et cetera. I gave up watching the Alaskan homesteaders thing after they spent a whole hour's programme fretting about two people who had gone out on skiddoos and not returned. Turned out they had taken diesel not petrol to refuel, so had to be rescued, but were never in real peril.

I think the bloke at Kew has a good reason for felling as he does, as he wants the stump out of the ground to plant a replacement, and it doesn't matter if he damages the timber.

.....Also describes felling with gellignite explosive

Saw that done with a huge oak in a farmers field once. Bloke from the slate quarry came to do it. Plan was to split it in half so the danarm could get through it but it went slightly wrong, nothing left of it. He ended up with oak splinters of it in all his bales from that field & 3 surrounding fields for 5 years afterwards.

I haven't seen the programme mentioned, I will try to find it. Is it a channel 5 job?.

Surely how much the chain blunts depends on the type of earth your cutting through. If it was cleanish soil woukd it still blunt the chain dramatically?

Yeah it was channel 5 I think. Surely even if the soil is clean it would still blunt the saw pretty quickly

Saw that done with a huge oak in a farmers field once. Bloke from the slate quarry came to do it. Plan was to split it in half so the danarm could get through it but it went slightly wrong, nothing left of it. He ended up with oak splinters of it in all his bales from that field & 3 surrounding fields for 5 years afterwards.

Listening to the old boys when I worked in Hatfield I think it was quite common. I never got taught it at tree school

I have an old copy of foresters companion which describes felling trees using root severing I think it's from pre chainsaw days or big chainsaw days.

Also describes felling with gellignite explosive

That would be an interesting read, do you think there may be some kind of archive on the net for those sorts of articles? I know it's a long shot.