Too Late To Move Fruit Trees??

Logged On

www.blackmoor.co.uk do rootstocks in small quantities.

Yes, but I was seriously underwhelmed with the Colt I bought from them. No roots at all, just root nodes so not suitable for grafting for a year, budding for 18mnths and 3 of 10 didn't even leaf out. If you want to graft this year you need a guaranteed good root system.

Alec

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not got a photo, but does this street view image help...???

http://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/streetview?size=640x640&pano=cd05ioBoVszn0qG0s_z6gw&heading=-10.753990013980638&fov=44.99999911222804&pitch=-0.8932522080318024&sensor=false

Try and make / work out the trees up along the building wall that has the red doors from the traffic cone, you may get the idea....

Got them. I would certainly say they are small enough to move, probably constrained by the very small rooting area so I would certainly try it. Close up photos would help to identify what to remove. If you can describe the fruit I can have a try at the varieties.

Alec

Alec, I'm impressed with your tlc, it's sounds like a Victorian or even capability brown style scene.

I've recommended such in the past but no offence to the OP. After a short while these projects tend to get neglected.

Rootstocks are a pain to get, wholesale they are dirt cheap. I managed to take hardwood cuttings a year ago from some apple M25. The top pieces that was chopped off when grafting and got a few to root. It's one of those projects I'd like to do, stool them and make more babies.

But I know I won't follow through.

Eternal enemy in this life...Time!

Alec, I'm impressed with your tlc, it's sounds like a Victorian or even capability brown style scene.

I've recommended such in the past but no offence to the OP. After a short while these projects tend to get neglected.

Rootstocks are a pain to get, wholesale they are dirt cheap. I managed to take hardwood cuttings a year ago from some apple M25. The top pieces that was chopped off when grafting and got a few to root. It's one of those projects I'd like to do, stool them and make more babies.

But I know I won't follow through.

Eternal enemy in this life...Time!

Funnily enough, I remember watching and thoroughly enjoying 'The Victorian Kitchen Garden' in the mid 1980s (I wish I had had the opportunity to meet Harry Dodson) - so maybe that's what inspired the approach. Either that or sheer bloody-mindedness :001_smile: A lot of what I have done has been in an orchard planted in 1919 - quite a few of the original trees are still very much going. The dwarf trees are on a very interesting stock which makes a tree that is easily maintained at around 8' but doesn't blow over, and is obviously very long lived. It doesn't quite tie in to any of the normal M or MM series, and of that era it may well be something completely different, but it suckers a little bit which gives me plenty of stock. I believe one of the common traits which was looked for in the older stock (which became the M series) was its ability to take from cuttings.

Quince A has proved similarly easy to propagate but buying in plum and cherry stock has proved tricky. I found somewhere in the Northwest that did good quality material at a decent price.

I know what you mean about the challenge of continuing aftercare, but if the weather is like it has been lately I don't think watering will be a problem....

Alec

We want (if possible), to take two fruit trees with us when we move farms.

Not arboricultural but legal:

Make sure you agree with any buyer that the trees willl go with you. Loads of land law cases are expensive bickering over whether curtains, light fittings, tapestries, statues, sheds etc are part of the land or stuff you can take with you. Whether trees are fixed fixtures or removeable fittings is a perfect example of this sort of uncertainty. Agree beforehand so there can be no argument.

Just a quick post from my phone...

The WHOLE PLACE is getting flattened! !:thumbdown:

Trees, buildings, sheds round the back are going to make way for a whole load of houses. Only the front wall is being kept as some kind of boundary.

And we all here think it's a Victoria plum tree too.

Just a quick post from my phone...

The WHOLE PLACE is getting flattened! !:thumbdown:

Trees, buildings, sheds round the back are going to make way for a whole load of houses. Only the front wall is being kept as some kind of boundary.

And we all here think it's a Victoria plum tree too.

Nothing to lose in moving them then. Do it Asap, but be organised with planting holes ready etc.

Alec I know me and you have similar interests horticulturally, would it be Harry Dodson an old fellow that featured in a C4 (I think) tv series from the Rhs on propagation. I remember watching it and being totally fascinated by it.

From the mid 80s when gardening programs were about gardening not the arty I know it all and am wonderful, and just buy it in the garden Center along with the trendy tat you stick in your garden from there, whilst wasting the day over a coffee programming we get nowadays.

Geoff Hamilton was the best. Proper gardening tv died with him.:thumbdown: