skidding winch advice

clueless

I had an old second hand Farmi which was a great winch, very basic but it did the job. Would be ideal for firewood, cheap and effcient. Igland are the bees knees but quite expensive. You should find lots of Farmi kit about second hand. Corwen Forestry in N Wales do a good range of spares.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with buzz about the farmi's. Used a 5 tonner for years and great winch and with the ratchet brake could be operated from the tractor on the move to drop and pull in again with ropes to get around obstacles without unhitching loads all the time. Basic but with winches less can be more. Fransguards are excellent also if you could find a 3-4 ton one. 6.5 tonner's are awesome for there size but probably a bit of overkill:biggrin:

Yes that would work fine mate. I had a little winch on a dirty great big Valmet.

big tractors would help to save your winch pulling the tractor about. this 4 tonne igland fairly pulled my mog about today. had to use double line (pulley)to move the wee davie brown

Image097.jpg.05d10daf708a0b2bacb17f72a546b370.jpg

Image098.jpg.8ab81dcb3b39dd3161c0d0577e2ef6ff.jpg

Nice DB, not many 996 4wds around. I had the same Jones guarding on my Mog, anyone know how many they converted, or whether they just sold aftermarket kits?

yep its a nice DB could be doing with a bit of tlc and a paint to stop the rust thats starting to show threw. dont know much about the james jones roll bar but the company is still trading, altho i dont think it dose the steel fabrication now.

• 2 weeks later...

hi guys

i ended up buying a 3.5t fransguard winch thats pretty much as new and should do me for the moment. can you tell me if the following problem is down to my inexperience with winching, lack of lubrication of the components (the winch has been sat in a barn for some time), or a fault with the machine please;

sometimes when i am pulling the cable out to meet the trees it doesnt let me pull it all the way out, like as if it is jammed. when i finally get it out there are what i would call small kinks in the wire, although these are not permanently engrained in the cable. i am not quite sure what is happening but obviously the cable isnt gathering on the spool correctly (maybe due to lack of tension when winching in?) its like as if its wound the wrong way round or something, if that makes sense.

i havent gone back to the guy i bought it from as i didnt want to make a fuss if it was something that i was doing wrong during operation.

thanks for your comments