Looking for a unimog

Oaklay

Agrimog - my understanding of the lwb models is that the **50's will take a linkage as the rear axle is right at the back just like it is on the shorter ones. If an L is added then it suggests rear overhang, and what you're saying is a very good point that I hadn't thought to add.

Edit... Towing the mower is dangerous ground for Ag I think. And even domestic works that are not verge work (You can use a tractor to maintain highway verges and trees, but as soon as it's in a garden?).

I currently have mine as a historic tractor. I can't use it for work - only display use and driving around for fun, which is fine while I restore it.

Edited by njc110381

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agrimog - my understanding of the lwb models is that the **50's will take a linkage as the rear axle is right at the back just like it is on the shorter ones. If an L is added then it suggests rear overhang, and what you're saying is a very good point that I hadn't thought to add.

Edit... Towing the mower is dangerous ground for Ag I think. And even domestic works that are not verge work (You can use a tractor to maintain highway verges and trees, but as soon as it's in a garden?).

I currently have mine as a historic tractor. I can't use it for work - only display use and driving around for fun, which is fine while I restore it.

From all the research we have done my understanding is you can use a tractor for tree surgery in a garden including driving to and from site because it comes under horticulture, what you can't do is haul anything away. But I could of missed something and got that wrong I'm sure!

Hi mate where are you?

mate of mine has one in his yard, its ex electricity board huge winch on the front, can swap between LHD and RHD.... doesnt look like its seen much action, in fact it looks new!

Give him a call if your interested: Caddy- 07970 771167. Just tell him you got number from Tom....

Thank you, I'm in Devon. As much as I'd love a newer one It seems it would be hugely expensive to add a pto and linkage. Also due to large amount of electronics I'd be much more dependant on merc main dealers for repairs and service. Unless anyone knows differant? Cheers

If you are selling a service (tree surgery) it's white diesel, if you are making a product (timber harvesting, agriculture, horticulture) it can be red.

At any point where you are not moving or you are off the highway you can be on red as this is then operation of stationary plant or exempt from road fuel duty.

There are one or two loop holes that some people seem to have in writing. If you do be squeaky clean as they will nail you down.

Oaklay, horticulture is one of the hardest ones to actually prove usage, although the exemption actually states agriculture, horticulture, and forestry, they seem to deem horticulture as market gardening, and as for towing your alpine behind a mog, get ready for some complete wierdness......both vehicles registerd as agricultural machines.... mog on red diesel, alpine on red...ok, mog on white, alpine on red...ok, mog on white, alpine on white...ok, mog on red, alpine on white....not ok.....work that out !!!!, comes down to whether your cuting agri roadsides, garden roadsides, public park roadsides......I sugest you look up the HMRC site on the use of rebated fuels, find the section that lists the various exemption rules, print it off, and keep it in your mog when you get it, also a very usefull sheet to keep in the vehicle is the section from construction and use act which defines what is actually an agricultural machine/tractor, I've found that even the know it all traffic plebs back down when presented with the actuall rules in black and white, they know they cant argue and must accept them. It also helps to have the right answers ready, and refuse to get drawn into any argument or disscussions, as they'll twist your answers to suit there own interpretation of the rules

If you are selling a service (tree surgery) it's white diesel, if you are making a product (timber harvesting, agriculture, horticulture) it can be red.

At any point where you are not moving or you are off the highway you can be on red as this is then operation of stationary plant or exempt from road fuel duty.

There are one or two loop holes that some people seem to have in writing. If you do be squeaky clean as they will nail you down.

Amazes me how so many folk get away with running red for years

Oaklay, horticulture is one of the hardest ones to actually prove usage, although the exemption actually states agriculture, horticulture, and forestry, they seem to deem horticulture as market gardening, and as for towing your alpine behind a mog, get ready for some complete wierdness......both vehicles registerd as agricultural machines.... mog on red diesel, alpine on red...ok, mog on white, alpine on red...ok, mog on white, alpine on white...ok, mog on red, alpine on white....not ok.....work that out !!!!, comes down to whether your cuting agri roadsides, garden roadsides, public park roadsides......I sugest you look up the HMRC site on the use of rebated fuels, find the section that lists the various exemption rules, print it off, and keep it in your mog when you get it, also a very usefull sheet to keep in the vehicle is the section from construction and use act which defines what is actually an agricultural machine/tractor, I've found that even the know it all traffic plebs back down when presented with the actuall rules in black and white, they know they cant argue and must accept them. It also helps to have the right answers ready, and refuse to get drawn into any argument or disscussions, as they'll twist your answers to suit there own interpretation of the rules

Thanks agrimog. I saw your advice to print the rules on a previous post and I have done so. I've high lighted the relevant bits to our use and as far as I'm aware will be on the right side of things. This will live in the mog if I find one.

Amazes me how so many folk get away with running red for years

It's luck of the draw. I am aware of people running red in everything for decades (personal cars, vans) and just never get a pull. I've never used red inappropriately as I don't like 'getting away with it' but in fairness I've never had a vehicle checked and have been in the industry over 10 years.