Bird of Prey

Ianw6522

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hahahahaha the trouble is i didnt intend to achieve that look :lol: i carved an Owl last year and i had the same Harry Potter feedback...... Im carving a Squirrel tomorrow, god knows what character that will turn out like, cheers Steve

Haha! Look forwards to seeing your squirrel, um, squirrel thing. :thumbup:

Maybe it'll look like something from Lord of the Rings? :001_huh:

cheers, steve

There are lots of things about him that are really good. I think he looks cartoony because the eye cavities are too high ... he needs a lower brow ... I think. The wings are a good shape, maybe a bit thick but if you are going to take your carvings somewhere to sell them a truck full of fragile carvings is a nightmare. The talons are really good. I'm not sure about happy eagles but people do like 'cute'. If you can find a style you are succeeding.:thumbup1:

Thank you for the very useful feedback FriarsGorse, i carved the details to head last and knew straightaway that the forehead just didnt look right and also the beak wasnt exactly the right shape. Thecarving sold for £80 yesterday when i had it on display, im not sure of prices etc yet but it covered the carving costs with regards to my time.

I appreciate your feedback very much thanks again.:001_smile:

Well mate, its not a bad piece at all. Raptors are not awlays easy. we all have an idea of what a raptor is (in our head) and that dosnt always match what is real. Yours aint bad at all. if you want some comments i would say:

one of the reasons for the slightly 'cartoon' stle of teh head is the forehead/eye-line (as already mentioned) but also teh solid block of yellow dosnt help, the beak is a tad heavy and too wide (as you probably know) plus missing the 'nostril ridge'. It works on this piece thougha s it fits the overall character. eyes on a raptor are bigger though, check out raptor skuls, the eye sockets are huge

feet are good, proportions about right but the legs maybe a little high at the hips (have a look at a few skeleton-pictures to see what i mean). when a raptor raises his feet that way it has to arch its back more, which would bring the tail downwards... which is what they do when striking to an extent anyway. i like them but open them next time, raptors 'strike' with the hind talon usually so the toes are opened. good proportions though and excellent detail of the undersides, the ridges and folds

wings.. hell, we have to workw ith the available wood but you got the bend in the right place (many dont). next tie try thinning them, in general they are much thinner after the 'bend' (which is .. i guess.. the wrist if you want to think in terms of human arams), from then on downwards its effectively just feathers so needs to be thinner. great work on the feather arrangements and going for a more 'blocked out' than just lines drawn on. next time stagger the blocks, its more work but worth it. also, when you make the cuts hold your saw on an angle so you are cutting with the corner of the tooth, not the flat of the tooth, that way you can undercut each feather (or block of feathers). it lifts them out a bit. check out the work of scott Dow (american carver), he masters the whole pop-out feathers thing. I try to emulate him but i stil have a long way to go.

hope some of that helps? if you facebook, drop me a line and ill try show you what i mean.

not surprised it sold, it has personality and often thats worth more than detail

Hia Dave, thanks for the feedback it means a lot to me, the guidance and advice you give i duly note and will certainly try and incorporate the techniques in my next Raptor. I will check out Scott Dow and hopefully take on board some of his techniques.

I will contact you on FB as i will be grateful for any further help.

I carved a Squirrel today, but im conscious of posting too many pics on here, but i appreciate the help.

Thanks again, Diolch yn Fawr :001_smile:

Ok Steve..... I will post a new 'Squirrel ' thread, the pic will be of the little critter in my garage but I think the detail and general appearance is visible..... It may attract some other Tuffty club followers :lol:

It'll give everyone better road sense!

Good old tufts!