Advice needed on vehicle.

Adam

Now i know this has come up before and it will open up a tin of worms between the landrover, mog and transit lovers, but , i need a new vehicle. It will be my first proper arb vehicle and i have about £5-6k to spend on it. insurance is a problem though as i am 19.

i was looking at maybe a landrover 90 with a tipping trailer as it seems to be right for me at the moment. but my mind is jumping between transits and cabstars etc.....

so any help,advise and pointing in the direction of a good vehicle will be appreciated.:001_smile:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What kind of Arbwork are you into? Do need to go off-road, do you need to carry big loads, how many people dogs etc, kit storage, is parking okay etc. Consider what you want a truck to do and what your budget will get and go forwardfrom there. Simples

How about using the 5-6k you have or even a proportion of it as a deposit towards a vehicle that will do what you want. A Land rover in that price range will need constant work to keep usuable.

Is it feasible to get a transit or similar and use some of the money to improve access to your yard ?

i just paid 4k for a 54 plate transit panel van with 66,000 on the clock. The place i got it from had a 54 plate double cab transit tipper for 9k. If you really want a landy you're looking at double your budget but that is for a really good used vehicle.

How are you getting a chipper to site if you need to tow a trailer for waste removal?

If budget is tight how about a hilux/l200/navara. Much cheaper, no need for the trailer to start with, can pull a chipper and chip into the back and you still have the 4x4.

Granted it won't last as long but will give you the oppertunity to start earning and upgrade to the 110 or 130 when you start to make your millions.

Landies are great but you pay a lot for what you get and are not the cheapest things to run.

Kev

How are you getting a chipper to site if you need to tow a trailer for waste removal?

If budget is tight how about a hilux/l200/navara. Much cheaper, no need for the trailer to start with, can pull a chipper and chip into the back and you still have the 4x4.

Granted it won't last as long but will give you the oppertunity to start earning and upgrade to the 110 or 130 when you start to make your millions.

Landies are great but you pay a lot for what you get and are not the cheapest things to run.

Kev

i dont own a chipper and when i use one its tracked and fits quite nicely in an ifor trailer :thumbup:.

i know some one with a nivara and i dont really like it. same with the hilux..... my yard is concrete but the track leading to it is a bit dodgy. and the tip site get very wet and muddy.

How about using the 5-6k you have or even a proportion of it as a deposit towards a vehicle that will do what you want. A Land rover in that price range will need constant work to keep usuable.

Is it feasible to get a transit or similar and use some of the money to improve access to your yard ?

i have been looking at transits Buzz. if i were to go for one i would get a tipper straight off. its the fact of where chip will go . a transit will get stuck most of the time. but im keeping an open mind.