Small chipper

njc110381

I just did a verbal deal on a CS100 - 18hp electric start 2014 model that looks quite tidy. No trailer but I can come up with something to get me started. I'm paying £3400 for it, which is pretty much every penny I have! It seemed like a fair deal though and the big engine is supposed to be worth te extra money?

Edit - thanks Dan, the Facebook search did it

Edited by njc110381

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just did a verbal deal on a CS100 - 18hp electric start 2014 model that looks quite tidy. No trailer but I can come up with something to get me started. I'm paying £3400 for it, which is pretty much every penny I have! It seemed like a fair deal though and the big engine is supposed to be worth te extra money?

Great, glad you found what you're looking for. No idea about the hp, never used one but seen them in the dealers near me and look well built

I doubt you'll be disappointed mate.

I saw Mick Stockbridge's machine in action and was impressed.

The drum design pulls brash in a treat, and the ability to get the machine to the tree will be a winner on some jobs.

Sharp blades are more important on gravity fed machines, keep on top of that and you'll have a winner.

When small chippers are mentioned you hardly see the TW 13/75 on the list.Being the owner of one i can see why.Very well built machine but like most things when you start to use them you get to see what needs to be improved.The problems that i and many others have is the feed chute is to high and the angles make the throat to narrow so you find that you have to do a lot of trimming of forky bushy waste.The other small niggle is the chip shoots low due to position of discharge shoot.Works a lot better if chipper is sat in a trailer but then you need a step ladder to feed in waste.As i said well built machine which is why it's a bit heavy and needs two to drag around on a slope or soft ground.After the first year or more of the machine sat in the corner of the lockup and having to hire another machine it was about time to either sell or do some mods to the TW 13/75 so thought sod it lets see what we can do with this small chipper.Not having any design knowledge where do i start.The main thing was the feed hopper so sat down did some drawings well doodling and basically came up with the same thing.I did make some small changes to the height and the angles of the hopper which allowed us to open up the throat.Due to a gravity feed machine i didn't change this by much and for safety reasons still kept some height to the hopper and had the hand rails made.Doing these small adjustments has transformed this little chipper so now i'm not getting wound up trying to ram and take the waste out to trim it up. I also changed the hard rubber wheels for a set of tyres and also made another axle and fixed this to the front and fitted the old set of wheels.Doing this helps to move the machine on soft ground.Don't get me wrong it's still not perfect and yes i still need to trim some of the waste but once i got used to what i could feed into the machine i'd trim to roughly go straight in and come out the other end.I did put a couple of short video clips on youtube.I think if you tap in Timberwolf 13/75 and see it under Kevin Brown.I've also just finished a new discharge chute that will fire the chip way up into my ranger but iv'e got a new camera and can't work out to upload clip.I did write to Timberwolf to say that i made some slight changes that have greatly improved the use and performance of the machine and said that you can see the small clips on youtube and that they are more than welcome to view and test to see what they thought.Did get back a reply to say that they had already seen the clip and might look into it but this was way back last year.Anyway would like to see what you guys think of the changes.I will put another clip on when a get some nice big forky waste.So to sum it up i now have a good all round micro chipper that can still be used on the back garden jobs and jobs when i can chip straight into a truck.

I've only ever had gravity machines. I'm fairly small time when it comes to tree work. No climbing and no big stuff - CS30/31 only. You're right, sharp blades are everything. You have to fight to slow them down when they're sharp - once blunt it would be quicker to cut it up with loppers!

I'll look up the modified 13/75. That sounds interesting. TW could make a lot of money out of your improvements. Surely that sort of info from guys in the field are what they need?!

It sounds a bit slower than my 18/100. Does it only have one blade?

The mods look tidy. I probably would have left the bar off, although H&S probably wouldn't like it. Chippers have to be far too stupid proof these days. As long as I can reach in up to my armpit and not touch the blades I reckon the chute is long enough.

Yeah one blade.Done the first clip towards the end of a 150 mt long job.Second clip was a sharper blade chipping some Oak.Bit dark as filmed it on my phone that was lent up against a bin.No way could i put Oak like that in with the old chute.Broom handle be ok.

Kev