Blanking off the egr valve

Maxnaggle

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a "possibility" that some of the random smoke observations on cars and lorries that has been mentioned could be down to the "Particulate Filter Cleaning Cycle" and not always a blocked ERG.

I have an 11 plate merc Vito with dpf it never lets any smoke out. That's the idea of euro 5 . Transits, vivaros and old discos are most often seen with faulty egrs.

When vehicles are new these devices reduce the emmissions by a slim margin on day one. But a couple of percent could put the vehicle into a lower tax bracket which could save the purchaser hundreds of pounds. After a year or two these devices have clogged up and the emmissions have risen ten fold but because the emmissions test on mot is so out of date the vehicle passes with plenty of room to spare.

I have a 16 year old Amazon last year the emmission pass was 0.3 mine recorded 0.03

I have an 11 plate merc Vito with dpf it never lets any smoke out. That's the idea of euro 5 . Transits, vivaros and old discos are most often seen with faulty egrs.

When vehicles are new these devices reduce the emmissions by a slim margin on day one. But a couple of percent could put the vehicle into a lower tax bracket which could save the purchaser hundreds of pounds. After a year or two these devices have clogged up and the emmissions have risen ten fold but because the emmissions test on mot is so out of date the vehicle passes with plenty of room to spare.

I have a 16 year old Amazon last year the emmission pass was 0.3 mine recorded 0.03

As i understand it..there is a cleaning cycle with particulate filters that involves raw fuel being let into the unit once a vehicle has run within "certain" specs for a given time and temperature range. This is usually on a run and at higher constant speeds, A roads and Motorways. This procedure may vary by manufacture of corse.

Im familiar with the ERG valve and its associated problems and was just pointing out that not "all" the smoky discharge may be down to this.

As i understand it..there is a cleaning cycle with particulate filters that involves raw fuel being let into the unit once a vehicle has run within "certain" specs for a given time and temperature range. This is usually on a run and at higher constant speeds, A roads and Motorways. This procedure may vary by manufacture of corse.

Im familiar with the ERG valve and its associated problems and was just pointing out that not "all" the smoky discharge may be down to this.

This DPF " Regeneration " cycle is responsible for the engine oil contamination in some of the early Izuzu D max trucks and their subsequent engine failure .

Interesting..how was that conclusion come to ?

Diesel fuel gets into the oil thinning it as the thing " over fuels " itself during the regeneration cycle . This extra fuel is not all burnt off and some gets down past the rings thinning the oil and visibly raising the level on the dip stick . Some engines have blown up .

Some other manufactures have another injector in or in front of the DPF to squirt fuel into it on the regeneration cycle which seems a better idea .

Diesel fuel gets into the oil thinning it as the thing " over fuels " itself during the regeneration cycle . This extra fuel is not all burnt off and some gets down past the rings thinning the oil and visibly raising the level on the dip stick . Some engines have blown up .

Some other manufactures have another injector in or in front of the DPF to squirt fuel into it on the regeneration cycle which seems a better idea .

Got you… Have come across this point that if the engine management puts the engine into re gen and the engine is then turned off before this has fully happened then the unburnt fuel can wash the cylinders and end up in the sump if it happens enough times. Im not directly familiar with Trooper engine as my truck was a Brava non turbo and before all the issues.Most makers iv come across seem to put there injector just before the DPF or are using Uria in the engine rather than raw fuel injection.