Tirfor Type Winch, Strops/Straps and WLL

R Mac

I've been looking at eye to eye strops and endless loop strops so am I right in thinking that,

2000kg Eye to Eye, Basket hitched = WLL 4000kg (i.e. one leg each side of object)

2000kg Eye to Eye, Chokered = WLL 1600kg

2000kg Eye to Eye, straight pull = 2000kg WLL

2000kg Endless Loop, Basket Hitched = WLL 4000kg (i.e. 2 legs each side of object)

2000kg Endless Loop, Chokered = WLL 1600kg

2000kg Endless Loop, straight pull = 2000kg WLL

If I have a winch rated at 1000kg on a straight pull I need 2 strops rated at at least 1000kg, if I add a pulley for a 2-1 mechanical advantage or re-direct I'd need at least 1 strop rated at 2000kg to attach the pulley to the object. My pulley/snatch block also needs rated at x2 minimum the WLL of the winch.

In effect if I intend to use a snatch block with a winch rated at 1000kg WLL then my snatch block and ALL (for simplicity) my strops need to be rated at X2 minimum the WLL of the winch.

The actual winches I was looking at were the ACE winches, I can't decide on whether to go for the 800kg version (1250kg WLL Straight Pull) or the 1600kg (2500kg WLL Straight pull)

The 800kg with a pulley will give me 2500kg pull, the 1600kg will give me 5000kg pull, so what would you choose, more power at the expense of more weight or lighter weight at the expense of more pulling power. Assuming you choose the lighter, less powerful 800kg winch would you buy strops/pulley and shackles rated for the more powerful winch on the basis that if you decided later to add the more powerful winch you could still use the same hardware?

I'm thinking of getting,

800kg winch

3000kg/3 ton Strops x 3

6500kg/6.5 ton Shackles x 3

8000kg/8 ton Snatch Block (to gain a larger pulley size, still not X 18 the rope diameter sheave)

That should cover me if at a later date I decided to add the more powerful winch, I'd only need to add x 3 stronger strops, 5000kg/5 ton?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at eye to eye strops and endless loop strops so am I right in thinking that,

2000kg Eye to Eye, Basket hitched = WLL 4000kg (i.e. one leg each side of object)

2000kg Eye to Eye, Chokered = WLL 1600kg

2000kg Eye to Eye, straight pull = 2000kg WLL

2000kg Endless Loop, Basket Hitched = WLL 4000kg (i.e. 2 legs each side of object)

2000kg Endless Loop, Chokered = WLL 1600kg

2000kg Endless Loop, straight pull = 2000kg WLL

If I have a winch rated at 1000kg on a straight pull I need 2 strops rated at at least 1000kg, if I add a pulley for a 2-1 mechanical advantage or re-direct I'd need at least 1 strop rated at 2000kg to attach the pulley to the object. My pulley/snatch block also needs rated at x2 minimum the WLL of the winch.

In effect if I intend to use a snatch block with a winch rated at 1000kg WLL then my snatch block and ALL (for simplicity) my strops need to be rated at X2 minimum the WLL of the winch.

The actual winches I was looking at were the ACE winches, I can't decide on whether to go for the 800kg version (1250kg WLL Straight Pull) or the 1600kg (2500kg WLL Straight pull)

The 800kg with a pulley will give me 2500kg pull, the 1600kg will give me 5000kg pull, so what would you choose, more power at the expense of more weight or lighter weight at the expense of more pulling power. Assuming you choose the lighter, less powerful 800kg winch would you buy strops/pulley and shackles rated for the more powerful winch on the basis that if you decided later to add the more powerful winch you could still use the same hardware?

I'm thinking of getting,

800kg winch

3000kg/3 ton Strops x 3

6500kg/6.5 ton Shackles x 3

8000kg/8 ton Snatch Block (to gain a larger pulley size, still not X 18 the rope diameter sheave)

That should cover me if at a later date I decided to add the more powerful winch, I'd only need to add x 3 stronger strops, 5000kg/5 ton?

Hi Mac sounds good there all that puts me off there a bit slow but better then hand balling it out in small bits thanks Jon

Hi Jon, thanks, I though I had it pretty much sorted out but had started to over think it and got myself confused, I needed to write it down to sort it all out.

You know how it is :biggrin:

p.s. I'll take this opportunity to wish you and family a Happy and Safe New Year.

Hi Jon, thanks, I though I had it pretty much sorted out but had started to over think it and got myself confused, I needed to write it down to sort it all out.

You know how it is :biggrin:

p.s. I'll take this opportunity to wish you and family a Happy and Safe New Year.

Hi mate and happy new year to there winch I seen members on pull ash tree out of a lake before thanks Jon

Get a 1600kg winch. Firstly its what you required to have on a CS32 course and they're not that much heavier than the 800kg one. It removes a lot of faf having to snach a 800 back to pull something that's well and truly hung up. It will spend most of its life in the shed or truck so you might as well just have one good one. The 3.2T is just too big and heavy to lug around unless you need.

I tend to use endless slings (sort of like bean bangs) rather than eye to eyes. Seem to protect the trees better.

So you will need.

1600kg winch

2 3t strops

1 4 t strop

4t block for redirects.

Oh get a crap load of sheer pins too.

Get a 1600kg winch. Firstly its what you required to have on a CS32 course and they're not that much heavier than the 800kg one. It removes a lot of faf having to snach a 800 back to pull something that's well and truly hung up. It will spend most of its life in the shed or truck so you might as well just have one good one. The 3.2T is just too big and heavy to lug around unless you need.

I tend to use endless slings (sort of like bean bangs) rather than eye to eyes. Seem to protect the trees better.

So you will need.

1600kg winch

2 3t strops

1 4 t strop

4t block for redirects.

Oh get a crap load of sheer pins too.

Good advice, I'm convinced already although I've already done CS32, no point in adding a pulley for mechanical advantage and then needing to winch X2 the amount of cable when the bigger winch can do it at X1.

Snatch Block, I can't get anything at the rated WLL that comes close to the X18 wire rope dia, what would you recommend, something like this?

4 ton Snatch Block

or will this be good enough for a re-direct given that the cable isn't likely to be running around the pulley at an acute angle.

8 Ton Recovery Snatch Block

Regarding the shear pins, they were already in the 'Shopping Basket'

As for the strops, for all the difference in price I'd just go for 3 x 4 ton strops, keeps set-up simple, also 4 ton bow shackles.