Fiskars Xsharp / X27

djbobbins

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi SAW what do you use the X15 for then I pick up a small FISKARS at car boot very cheap thanks Jon

The X15 is an excellent general purpose axe that I like to use for small limbing, plastic wedges and removing some of the general clutter around the trunk etc. Can also be used for small splitting although I don't use it much for this. It is very similar to the X27 in design (although lighter and smaller (1.5 kg about 60 cm overall length). The heads of Fiskars cutting range is similar to the wedge shape of the X27 but not so pronounced which is aimed primarily at splitting. I just find it a useful size and handy to have around. It is a shame they are discontinuing it.

It's a woodworking tool.

Generally in my experience woodworking tools have a sharp edge, unless they're a mallet, a 2' rule or a piece of string.

But the I come from the school of not hitting things too hard, or expending more energy than necessary.

Agree with that. In relation to axes specifically there is a free 68 page publication issued by the US Forest Service called 'An Ax to Grind' which is well worth a read and is a good reference on sharpening angles etc. You can also find the video version on Utube. The pdf manual should be on the link below:

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf99232823/pdf99232823Pdpi300.pdf

It's a woodworking tool.

Generally in my experience woodworking tools have a sharp edge, unless they're a mallet, a 2' rule or a piece of string.

But the I come from the school of not hitting things too hard, or expending more energy than necessary.

Absolutely agree, but I wouldn't go near any cutting tool with a grinder (well apart from drill bits). I sharpen all my axes with a flat file, finish them off on an old oilstone (not a composite stone) and if I have too much time on my hands I polish the edge with a piece of leather glued to a piece of 2x4 and polishing compound. Of course if the steel isn't good quality the edge will fold or chip first time you use it.

Also vastly prefer wooden handled axe's, guess I'm Old Skool :biggrin:

Sawsaw, great link you put up, thanks for sharing that :thumbup1: