West Lancashire is sinking....

Gardenmac

Hi Guys, many thanks for your kind thoughts and messages. Thought I'd post an update...we are good thankfully.

Been trying to buy a petrol pump for the next time, which actually maybe in the early hours of tomorrow. Sadly every one here is out of stock or closed, so may be hiring one tomorrow, depends on how bad it is in morning, don't like buying off the net but if they can get one here tomorrow, so be it.

The brook at the back of the house has dropped by 3 ft, the main river is down too by about 8ft. The garden is drying but still like walking on porridge.

I have a plan that will incorporate a raised walkway around the lowest point of the house with 18" footings breeze block wall back filled with crush n run and lined by a water proof membrane. Along with 3ft wall to rear of the house, probably build this as a raised bed.This will keep water away from house. Unfortunate that most landscape suppliers up here aren't open til 6th jan, so making temporary defence until then, BnQ trade card has been handy.

I will be building up a store of sand bags to boost the future defences, along with a non return valve on the septic tank.

When we bought the house it had no record of flooding, the original flood prediction was once every 200 yrs. All those calculations are tosh, this weather is most definitely part of the Ice/ glacier melt and the effects that has on the Gulf n Jet Streams.

So lucky to have had the tanks emptied on Christmas Eve.

Our thoughts are with those less fortunate and have seen the flood enter their property 3 or 4 times in a month. Told Mrs Macca that we will not be a flood statistic.

Once again many thanks for your thoughts n kind messages, will post pics of the work as we start.

I have a small petrol pump that can be borrowed if the need arises. PM for tel number just in case.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand forestry reduces flooding as forest soils are "spongier" and hold water. I think anyone digging a hole beneath a larch tree will testify that this is true. However I agree that digging drainage, for forestry, in peat soils will increase runoff :(

I'm a fan of dams to reduce flooding as there are other benefits to the dams - they can provide a source of hydro electric power and they provide a source of water in summer (global warming is meant to increase droughts as well).

Generally trees and 'spongy' soils don't mix, if trees can't get there roots down deep enough becouse of a high water table they just blow over, which does happen a lot. And why when first planted 1st thing they do is put deep drainage ditches in and then 'plough' rows to plant the trees on.

Trees will probably dry soils long term, but that's probably a bad thing as soi cannot hold water the same so runs off quickier

I would say commercial forestry will make flooding worse

The problem u have with dams is at this time of year all be full anyway so any rain will just be running straight over the top so no real holding capacity.

Unless they emptied some water before heavy rain was forecast.

Plus building new ones tends to upset a LOT of people as u have to flood somewhere, locals, bunny huggers

Building a lot of small mini/mico hydro schemes in my area the now, great wee things and u hardly evenknow the're there, usually the dams are tiny thou, while great for eleccy won't do much good to hold any floodwatr back

Best to accept the Environment Agency organisation for what they are.... way underfunded and under the thumb of a UKGov that hasn't taken climate change anywhere near seriously enough.

I'll bet next years salary that they'll also be grossly inefficient, there's also doubts about what their priorities have been for last few years.

On a slight side note our area was flooded today and the coppers weren't letting cars drive through flood water a foot deep, we had a 4x4 pick up running big wheels which the copper accepted was perfectly capable of going through but his hands were tied. Fair enough.

The real stupidity though was when we offered to tow out a van which had got stuck. The answer was no "as it wasn't in the overall plan" to rescue vehicles!

I'll bet next years salary that they'll also be grossly inefficient, there's also doubts about what their priorities have been for last few years.

On a slight side note our area was flooded today and the coppers weren't letting cars drive through flood water a foot deep, we had a 4x4 pick up running big wheels which the copper accepted was perfectly capable of going through but his hands were tied. Fair enough.

The real stupidity though was when we offered to tow out a van which had got stuck. The answer was no "as it wasn't in the overall plan" to rescue vehicles!

No doubt the E.A management will do well!

When our street flooded in Weymouth we shut the roads ourselves because the cars were creating waves. Some people were driving through like idiots and it just created further misery for people who only got water in their houses entirely because of the car drivers.

And today I noticed the army were driving through a town creating a big wave.... and what's the need to drive fast if you have a snorkel fitted to your 4x4?

Maybe it's more fun?!

But it's fine in rural areas where there's no houses.

cheers, steve

Generally trees and 'spongy' soils don't mix, if trees can't get there roots down deep enough becouse of a high water table they just blow over, which does happen a lot. And why when first planted 1st thing they do is put deep drainage ditches in and then 'plough' rows to plant the trees on.

Trees will probably dry soils long term, but that's probably a bad thing as soi cannot hold water the same so runs off quickier

Maybe 25 years ago but commercial forestry has come along way since those mistakes, nowadays ploughing is out and mounding or similar is in. Plus UKFS takes into account water management, admittedly not always followed, but it's not the bad old days any more......where our European cousins have retained there forested uplands they see much fewer flood events like this.....

When our street flooded in Weymouth we shut the roads ourselves because the cars were creating waves. Some people were driving through like idiots and it just created further misery for people who only got water in their houses entirely because of the car drivers.

But it's fine in rural areas where there's no houses.

cheers, steve

Agree it's common sense to stop vehicles where there are buildings along roadside

Maybe 25 years ago but commercial forestry has come along way since those mistakes, nowadays ploughing is out and mounding or similar is in. Plus UKFS takes into account water management, admittedly not always followed, but it's not the bad old days any more......where our European cousins have retained there forested uplands they see much fewer flood events like this.....

Ploughing is more fashionable than ever in this area, any new plantion is done with the plough, can't think of ever seeing a new plantation done with dolp's. And been quite a few 'virgn' area planted in recent years all done with these fancier modern ploughs

The reason they use dolp's is on a restock its the best u can do due to stumps brash matts etc

Ploughing is more fashionable than ever in this area, any new plantion is done with the plough, can't think of ever seeing a new plantation done with dolp's. And been quite a few 'virgn' area planted in recent years all done with these fancier modern ploughs

The reason they use dolp's is on a restock its the best u can do due to stumps brash matts etc

Hi all how's it doing up there thanks Jon