Forestry workers dwelling.... and that thing called Planning!!

SteveA

Good suggestion, but.... its secluded but not completely secluded so that would be pretty risky.... we've already been tackling our authority on a permitted development barn and polytunnel (got permission for both, eventually).

You are bang on the mark with "the answer is no what is the question?".... that is exactly what it's been like for us so far.

cheers, Steve

We did it that way. Build it, keep head down, be nice to neighbors & wait the required time. Do not actively try to hide it or you will loose. Keep good records/receipts of what you did & when.

Very risky & the legal battle can be costly. Ours came in at £15k for the planner & barrister that represented us at the full public inquiry.

This is 100% WRC bought in the round.

4 bed one onsuit, util room, hall, open plan living space ect.

IMG_20150421_162920.jpg.6660d4066daa96d20062d0ba10b0e1d9.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We did it that way. Build it, keep head down, be nice to neighbors & wait the required time. Do not actively try to hide it or you will loose. Keep good records/receipts of what you did & when.

Very risky & the legal battle can be costly. Ours came in at £15k for the planner & barrister that represented us at the full public inquiry.

This is 100% WRC bought in the round.

4 bed one onsuit, util room, hall, open plan living space ect.

Good on ya, and that looks great. :thumbup:

We'd be looking at doing something similar to yours.

Is yours based on the maximum dimensions of a caravan?... maximum 7m width x18m length I think they say (designed in two sections so it can be split & transported).

I guess you aren't in Snowdonia National Park?

We're not looking to hide anything.... even if we did there would be little point because we let locals walk our woods, and some call in to say hello, etc.

cheers, steve

Yes it was designed to come within the caravan regs so is 15m x 6m (wall to wall as the overhangs dont count) with an internal floor to ceiling finish height of less than 10 foot. The two section thing only really applies if it is brought onto site. If you build it onsite it can be in one bit (or so I am lead to believe). The harder bit is to prove it can be moved in one section once assembled. Till you watch mighty movers & they move complete brick houses.

However that was the back up plan in case they enforced early in the end we went for the full building status when it came to it as they enforced after the time limits.

We are well outside the NP thankfully.

nearly2.jpg.b3057509fdc98f7e5540317fe05b4717.jpg

Edited by Justme

Been thinking a lot about this. Currently living as seasonal forestry worker on someone elses land, but would soon like to sort out something more permanent along the lines of what you've been talking about. I had a couple of ideas, but i'm not sure if they'd work.

So with the seasonal forestry worker thing a season has been defined as anything less than a year and you can legally store a caravan on your land, so it seems that you could get away with living pretty much permanently in this loophole if you go away for a bit each year?... But I have been told that you cannot be a 'seasonal forestry worker' on your own land. Could you get around this by trading as a limited company (or similar) and the company buying the land rather than you as an individual?

The other thought I have is that the tories have recently bought in a new law which makes it easier to convert barns into homes through permitted development Info here.

Seeing as you can build a forestry barn under permitted development, and you can convert a barn into a house under permitted development, seems like there might be a potential avenue here. Although i'm sure there must be some sort of rules about it being used as a barn for a number of years otherwise all the developers would just be building "barns" and converting them straight into houses...

... But I have been told that you cannot be a 'seasonal forestry worker' on your own land.

The other thought I have is that the tories have recently bought in a new law which makes it easier to convert barns into homes through permitted development Info here.

Seeing as you can build a forestry barn under permitted development, and you can convert a barn into a house under permitted development, seems like there might be a potential avenue here. Although i'm sure there must be some sort of rules about it being used as a barn for a number of years otherwise all the developers would just be building "barns" and converting them straight into houses...

That's the first I've heard that you cannot be a seasonal worker on your own land. Where did you read about/ or got told about that?... I've seen nothing in any policies that mention it.

I believe the Permitted Development rules for change of barn to residential means the barn would have to be at least ten years old.... but it's not straight forwards as I think the barn would have to be classed/ proved as being redundant for agricultural purposes for a number of years, maybe 10 years?

cheers, steve

I am just trying to get a dropped kerb from the highway to an existing gate to the woodland and the Council are not playing ball. The gateway stands back 8.3 metres from the highway and the Council won't even let me cross to the gateway with a vehicle.

That seems a bit unfair.... have you tried getting advice from Highways? Maybe send the Council a bill for replacement wheel rims?!....

cheers, steve

Yes it was designed to come within the caravan regs so is 15m x 6m (wall to wall as the overhangs dont count) with an internal floor to ceiling finish height of less than 10 foot. The two section thing only really applies if it is brought onto site. If you build it onsite it can be in one bit (or so I am lead to believe). The harder bit is to prove it can be moved in one section once assembled. Till you watch mighty movers & they move complete brick houses.

However that was the back up plan in case they enforced early in the end we went for the full building status when it came to it as they enforced after the time limits.

We are well outside the NP thankfully.

I've just been trying to read up on the two section thing, yet again!!.... and each time I read up I seem to get more information but also even more confused!!

:001_huh:

eg: lots of info here: http://www.selfbuildtimberframe.com/news/149-the-legal-definition-of-a-caravan-mobile-home-draft1

cheers, steve

Edited by SteveA

The highways have been out to have a look at my entrance and have told me it is illegal to mount the kerb and use my gate. I have tried to explain to them that I need to be able to enter the wood with a vehicle from time to time. They just say that if I mount the kerb or park on the verge I will be fined. The gate has always been there and goes back into history. On the opposite side of the road a few yards further along they have a entrance to their field and that is allowed

The highways have been out to have a look at my entrance and have told me it is illegal to mount the kerb and use my gate. I have tried to explain to them that I need to be able to enter the wood with a vehicle from time to time. They just say that if I mount the kerb or park on the verge I will be fined. The gate has always been there and goes back into history. On the opposite side of the road a few yards further along they have a entrance to their field and that is allowed

Have you put in a planning application for a dropped kerb?.... if they refuse then they need to give you a justified reason, and based on that you can decide if they are wrong....and you have the right to go to appeal.

I guess you probably already know this....

More bedtime reading below:

Kerb Dropping Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need planning consent?

Before submitting a request for a quotation you must ascertain whether the adjacent road is:

- Trunk Road

- Principal Road

- Classified Roads - Class 1 or Class 2

- Unclassified

- Unadopted

If the vehicle crossing is to be positioned on a Principle road or Classified road then planning permission must be obtained through the planning authority. There is a charge for this service.

To make an online planning application Link to External Website

On Trunk roads such applications need planning consent but would be referred to the Highways Agency for further approval by TMBC Planning Authority.

If your property or land is adjacent to a Non Classified road or Non-Principal road, planning consent is not required. Please proceed with enquiry request.

The on-line request for estimate form.

If your property is adjacent to an Unclassified road, planning consent is not required.

Please proceed with enquiry request.

If your property is adjacent to an Unadopted road, planning consent is not required.

Please proceed with enquiry request.

‘Please Note’ Unadopted roads or Unclassified roads may have Land Easements, Rights of Way, Land Title or Ownership issues. TMBC will not be held responsible in full or part for any land or ownership issues/contraventions before or after installation.

The occupier/resident takes full responsibility for the instruction given to install.

Please consult your solicitor to clarify the above.

Can I be refused a crossing?

You can be refused a crossing installation and reasons can be very individual to that location.

The points below may prohibit or offer guidance to a proposed dropped crossing:

Your property is on a bend or at a road junction

A tree is in the proposed crossing

Street furniture or a street lamp may impede access

Your property is close to traffic signals

There is a steep slope between your property and the road

There is insufficient garden area

There is insufficient visibility

If your application is refused you will receive a letter stating the reason why it has been refused and you have a right to appeal to:

The Secretary of State

Planning Inspectorate

Tollgate House

Houlton Street

Bristol

BS2 9DR